Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stripped the lacquer from part of my King bari and after stripping and polishing I noticed that you can still see lines between where there had been lacquer and no lacquer originally. Is this normal? I am thinking this is a result of the areas where there was no lacquer having worn more. Does this just require more polishing? Should I use a more aggressive polish? I am currently using Brasso.

Thanks,

Ethan

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Yes, this is normal - and for pretty much the reasons you suggest.

A harder polish would remove those marks - but if you've removed the lacquer the horn is going to tarnish anyway, so you might as well leave them. The less material you remove, the better - in general.

If you really must get rid of the lines you could try a coarser polish - Autosol is a good one, it's designed for chrome. Failing that, some 0000 wire wool followed by Brasso would do the job.

Regards,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
even it out by sanding. Works better than buffing and removes less material, believe it or not. Get one of those spongy furniture detailing sandpads in fine , very fine and ultrafine (3M corp makes a very nice soft backed emery boards, the good ones are "Made in England" stamped in the back) and work from the place it's "high" (where the lacquer was) towards the place it was bare brass with the fine. Then even it out with the vey fine and leave it ready to sheen (not shine!) with the ultrafine. Then cotton rag and some finishing wax automotive application (meguiars, 3M...) it will look very nice! (PS don't try to remove 100% of the marks, just "smooth" them out)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! They are not super noticeable but it would be nice to even them out. I will try some of the ultrafine. I don't really want the brushed look, will the polish after the ultrafine sandpaper/pads take out the scratches?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
yes, most of them. after the ultrafine, if you're gonig to polish it, get micromesh (it comes in a fingernail shaped stick with 3 grits too! 1500 dark grey, 4000 white, 12000 light grey) and use it after the ultrafine, sanding in a crosshatch pattern alternating grits (Am I clear? you sand in one direction, N-S then go to the next grit and sand W-E then to the final grit and back to N-S)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts