Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82zLN alto and random pads are sticking. The horn is not brand new. I use a pad saver which I thought would help this issue. Commonly, my biss Bb and G# stick but I've been having the F key stick and low C# stick. Is there something I can do to fix this? I'm not sure if I should do something with rubbing alcohol or what. I'm getting tired of pulling out a dollar bill in the middle of a gig to fix a sticky pad.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
take some baby powder (or some talc powder like what laides keep in their makeup drawers) and put it on either a Q-tip or a strip of paper and put the powder on your sticky pad. best solution i've found so far, and the best part is you don't have to put any smelly liquids on your fine saxophone pads.

it works great! I keep a little bottle of baby powder in either a sax case or in my car when i can remember to. comes in really handy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
take some baby powder (or some talc powder like what laides keep in their makeup drawers) and put it on either a Q-tip or a strip of paper and put the powder on your sticky pad.
You really shouldn't gunk up your horn with that crap. See the article as pointed out above for a much better solution to this rather simple concern.

·
Registered
17 Posts
First of all, you should be sure that your pads and tone holes are clean. I clean the pads with saddle soap, and the tone holes with 600 sandpaper.
Then, I never would recommend to use a padsaver. In my experience, they leave lint or shreds which can cause leaks later, and they don't retire the moisture from the horn if left inside. I use to clean the horn with TWO BG cord swabs, one after the other: the synthetic suede cloth AND the round sponge-filled one. Then, I blot each pad dry with stripes of soft cloth (the one for cleaning windows works fine), you can also choose the papers used by hairdressers to make ringlets, they are thick, absorbent and leave no residue. If the problem persists, you can apply the Saxgourmet pad powder, which is easy to use and works great.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
First of all, you should be sure that your pads and tone holes are clean. I clean the pads with saddle soap, and the tone holes with 600 sandpaper.
This is so not the solution to the problem.

Then, I never would recommend to use a padsaver. In my experience, they leave lint or shreds which can cause leaks later, and they don't retire the moisture from the horn if left inside. I use to clean the horn with TWO BG cord swabs, one after the other: the synthetic suede cloth AND the round sponge-filled one. Then, I blot each pad dry with stripes of soft cloth (the one for cleaning windows works fine), you can also choose the papers used by hairdressers to make ringlets, they are thick, absorbent and leave no residue. If the problem persists, you can apply the Saxgourmet pad powder, which is easy to use and works great.
If your shove it leaves fibres then it's cheap one. Get a proper HW Pad Saver. They work - though not in the way you might think.

Putting powder on a sticky pad is like throwing flour on spilled coffee.

Regards,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
This is so not the solution to the problem.
Would it be ironic to request a sticky for this topic and your solutions? It really should be the last word and I salute you for it. :salute:

·
2,547 Posts
There have been many threads on this topic - you'd only need to pick a longish one and slap a sticky on it.
Not sure if that would change anything though...I keep pointing people to my article, and as you can see we still get snake-oil solutions posted.

Regards,

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
There have been many threads on this topic - you'd only need to pick a longish one and slap a sticky on it.
Not sure if that would change anything though...I keep pointing people to my article, and as you can see we still get snake-oil solutions posted.

Regards,
And that would be because, despite the common sense and "supported by your personal experience" analysis and solutions in your article, there are a lot of complete duffers/ newbies and experienced players and techs alike who have differing thoughts and experiences.

Products, treatments, sandpaper, incantations, aside- the problem continues to plague many players.

My own experience? Despite your not asking, I submit that I just swab the horn after each playing and wipe the usual suspects by pulling a small sheet under the closed pad after playing and it just hasn't been an issue for me. This encompasses many different horns and pad/ tonehole types. Other's experience is clearly at odds with mine; perhaps with yours as well.

Just maybe there are some folks for whom the breath deposits on the pad/ tonehole surfaces are going to result in stickiness over time regardless. Ameliorable- but not completely avoidable; such is life.

To each his own- though if starting out fresh your solution certainly will work as well as any and far better-certainly in terms of avoiding the risk of collateral damage- than some of the more exotic proposals out there.

·
2,547 Posts
And that would be because, despite the common sense and "supported by your personal experience" analysis and solutions in your article, there are a lot of complete duffers/ newbies and experienced players and techs alike who have differing thoughts and experiences.
For sure - but it's worth bearing in mind that a repairer sees, and has to deal with, the results of a great deal many more 'solutions' than an individual player.
I'm all for new ideas, but there are some ground rules that not only make sense but also help prevent collateral damage.
Like you, I don't have an issue with sticking pads...I just bung a pad saver in the horn, and that seems to work for me and my setups...but another player with an identical setup may well have problems.

Regards,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts