Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am told that Keilwerth put something on the pads of my SX90II sop. It is new although the dealer had it for several years.

There are a number of them that are sticky. Not always the same ones although long C# is the worst offender followed by G# and a few of the stack keys.

Has anyone found a cure for this other than a repad. the locals don't know.

Have tried cleaning with leather & paper to no avail.

G

·
You could try a bit of lighter fluid? Put some of the fluid on a piece of paper and close the pads gently over it.

Hope you find a cure!

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
a short term fix would be to take a dollar bill and to slid it into the tone hole close the pad and pull the dollar out. I believe ciggerate paper would do the same thing

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Agree....lighter fluid on a piece of paper, close the key lightly & slide out the paper. Sometimes I follow this using talcum powder in place of the lighter fluid.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
I use a product called "Pad Juice" to clean my pads. It's easy to use, and the pads stay unsticky for a long time. It's what my tech uses. 

·
Registered
841 Posts
Campho Phenique Liquid. Works Wonders!! I tell everyone this. Until the pads break in, I have only had to do this twice on my horn. Lasts a long time

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
NOTHING works long term on the Keilwerth pads to end the stickiness. I tried it all. Gig dust, lighter fluid, everything. Do yourself a favor and have Roo Pads installed. Best thing I ever did.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I don't know anything about the SX90II and their respective pads and factory treatments but I do know any horn with rolled tone-holes is very susceptible to sticking.
My Rev D was becoming a sticky-pad nightmare and after a few wasted, messy solutions I've found the best thing is clean the pads maybe once every fortnight with lighter fluid and a cotton tip.

But more importantly I gently press and wipe my neck and mpc cloth against the worst offending pads (F, G#, C#, side C and Bb). With exception of the Eb (dang it) most are easily accessible (in my case) and this has helped a LOT! I do this after every long playing/practice session.

Good luck.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. Hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
if anyone has read my posts before...ive been playing for 4 years now...gone through 5 horns looking for my setup...now i'm playing the New King

it's the first horn I've ever had that has a pad sticking problem...it's also my first with rolled tone holes.... any connection?????

·
Registered
847 Posts
it's the first horn I've ever had that has a pad sticking problem...it's also my first with rolled tone holes.... any connection?????
Get a set of White Roo pads fitted - they will sort out sticking , once and for all!

Blowhard2

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
..im really curious if in fact that is so...it seems to me beveled holes have much less of a surface that meets the pad

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
At the risk of starting another brouhaha, you might want to try a method that has worked for me for years. If cleaning both the pad and the top of the tonehole with the Naptha (lighter fluid) doesn't work after 2 or 3 trials do this:

Get some 1000 grit wet or dry sand paper and cut it into 1 1/2" - 2" strips. Get some powdered teflon (found at piano repair suppliers) and lightly coat the paper side of the sand paper using a small soft bristle paintbrush. It helps the teflon to adhere better if you first scuff up the paper using 60 grit. With the sandpaper side down and the paper side up pull the coated strip between the pad and tone hole several times while applying light pressure on the key. Blow any excess powder away from the body and keys when you are finished.

This is not a permanent fix but in my experience it will last quite a while, and works when other methods fail. The advantage of the teflon powder over other powders is that it does not stick to itself and therefore will not form clumps when it gets wet.

The 1000 grit DOES NOT harm the tonehole in any way, and the teflon powder DOES NOT clog up the keywork even though there are those who have never tried this method who will claim they know for certain that these things happen.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,563 Posts
Re: Keilwerth Sticky Pads, teflon solution?

Get some powdered teflon…
You may be on to something here.

As Morry says, Keilwerth pads are unique. The methods that work on normal pads such as a dollar bill or Yamaha pad paper do not work well on the modern JK pads. SOTW member brassnaked had great success using Krytox liquid on his Keilwerth. I think that product is now called Dupont Teflon Multi-Use liquid (dry wax lubricant). I bought some but haven't tried it yet on my SX90. Try searching through brassnaked older posts.

There is another similar product called LaBelle 134 ptfe which is dry.

The only problem with these products is figuring out how to put the product on your pads without getting the excess all over the horn. I'm guessing the best way is to take the keys off, but I'm not going to go that far. Now, I'm thinking along the lines of jbtsax and using some sort of stiff paper that is not too absorbant. but not sandpaper… something smooth.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,563 Posts
Re: Keilwerth Sticky Pads, teflon solution?

I wonder if a very thin sponge could be used to apply the teflon liquid to the pad surface. It would need some sort of moisture proof backing to prevent the liquid from dripping.
˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛˛

Update: I bought some "mini trim" things from the hardware store. This is a small rectangular brush made for painting household trim. It is pretty flat so i hope it will fit under the key pads of the alto. it also has a plastic handle to hold while you are painting. I also bought some sponges that I can cut down if the mini trim brush does not fit under the pads. I'll report back after I have a chance to try this method.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Try everything. When all else fails, try beer. Drink carefully, allowing time for it to work in your head. The sticky pads won't disturb you any longer. At least for a few hours.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts