Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks-
I picked up a new 82ZII alto recently and am playing through it. I was surprised to experience a persistent sticky G pad and an occasional sticky B pad (left hand / upper stack). Aside from a newer Yani bari last year, its been decades since I bought a new horn, and the bari didn't give me such issues. I can say this horn arrived absolutely new -- no evidence in packaging or anywhere on the horn of even being test played (at least to the extent I can detect!!)

Is this typical? Should I expect it to iron itself out over time?

It was a bit disheartening but maybe I'm being overly critical.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!
-T

·
Registered
840 Posts
If you had just purchased this horn, I would definitely give it some time. There have been reports of sticking pads with a few of the top brands as of late. I definitely would not use a shove it type pad saver if you are using one presently. Let the pads dry out after playing it. I am sure this is just temporary and will subside as it gets broken it. See how it plays out in the next week or two or the more you play it.

Aside from the normal, brush your teeth after eating if you are going to play, don't eat anything sugary before playing, don't drink anything sweet before, or while playing, a trick that works wonders for me as I am plagued only on occasion by a sticky pad or two is waxed paper. Tear off a piece of waxed paper and place it under the key while closing down on the key and gently pull through. I do this with my Keilwerth maybe several times a year if anything starts to stick for me, and that generally does the trick. Some people have luck with liquids, and lighter fluid, rubbing alcohol etc, but I personally choose not to go that route

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
Give it time. Every horn I’ve ever bought brand new took a couple-three weeks to get past little things like that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I bought an 82zii tenor new and it did this for the first month or so. Just to be expected with new Yamaha horns. Plays beautifully now, a little patience and a lot of playing will sort it. I never drink, eat or even think about food prior to playing of course.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. I'll keep at it and let it work itself out. I'll also get myself some wax paper and try that trick, FunkyHorn626.

·
Registered
109 Posts
tcm101, how's it going with the pads? I've had similar issues with my YTS-875EX since the second day that I had it. I start each session by pulling a cloth out from under the pads of the G#, Eb, C#, and bis keys. This prevents any sticking during the playing session. If I repeat this at the end of the session, the pads aren't stuck next time, but I don't take a chance. The sax is otherwise fabulous, but it's the only sax I've had after 32 years that I've had to be so diligent about the pad care.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,125 Posts
I’m gonna try the wax paper trick. I’m guessing it works because the paper leaves a small bit of wax on the tone hole and pad.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've had this issue for a while. It was because I put the horn in the case after practice. I now let it sit outside for a while and then store it. Problem gone. If for some reason I have to store it quickly after band practice I use Key Leaves.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,125 Posts
Tried using wax paper and it only worked the length of my practice session. Next day: a return to sticky town.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
Instead of wax paper, I keep a small piece of extremely fine sandpaper (around 2000G) in the case of my JK horns. If I need it, just a little pressure on the key as I pull the paper through under the pad.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Designer Shoe Warehouse Mink Oil: put it on a soft dust cloth and apply it to the pad, let it dry and then polish the pad by pulling the dust cloth through. If you have sticky residue on the pad, clean it with a q-tip, sometimes a tiny amount of WD40 or lighter fluid may help but if it is a new horn, I would be cautious and the mink oil by itself cleans the leather and waterproofs it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts