Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started playing sax again after a 20+ years break

The G# key on my Alto is sticking. The first play of the day it won't open until I manually free it. After that it often opens late. Eventually it settles down until the next day when it's back to sticking again.

Relearning is hard enough without this little problem. :cry:

Any advice would be very welcome.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'm a new beleiver in the lighter fluid on a q-tip method. Don't do this near an open flame or while smoking, though.....

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
jbtsax said:
1. Lighter fluid (naptha) on a Q-tip clean both the pad and the tonehole
2. Use Yamaha powered pad papers
3. If the above suggestions don't work---replace the pad

John
In a nutshell, I agree with Jbtsax.

Sometimes dragging very fine sandpaper under thegently closd pad (sand facing the tone hole) helps, in removing harder deposits and corrosion, if they are present.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, my problem is now fixed due to your excellent advice.

Lighter fluid helped a great deal. A piece of greaseproof paper between the pad and the hole and pulled out while holding the pad shut perfected the repair.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,821 Posts
I'm in South Florida. The sticky pad problem seems to be worse here than anywhere, maybe because of the humidity, and also maybe because manufacturers seem to be using waterproof pads that tend to stick more.

I agree with the lighter fluid/ charcoal lighter/ Q tip solution. I also like Yamaha powder papers.

For extreme cases (Yamaha and other body octave keys that are "leaned on" by the G key with a fairly heavy spring, and of course G# keys), try this:

Get a sheet of #600 extra fine sandpaper. Scribble on the rough side with a pencil until the paper loads up with graphite from the pencil. cut a strip wide enough to cover the sticky pad.

Slide the sandpaper, graphite side up, under the pad, and apply the graphite to the pad. It turns the pad black, but the pad stops sticking longer than other solutions.

My MYSPACE MUSIC page:

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts