Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Cleveland S-20 that was just overhauled (Ser 3009xx) with the funky G# mechanism. I noticed that it was more likely to stick when I raised the horn up; but regardless, would open with a little delay no matter how I held it. It just so happened that I had a little jar of Steve Goodsen's anti stick powder so I gave it a shot: No more stick!!! Yeah. I think it's teflon based and smells like pachouli oil (gotta love New Orleans hahaha)

Side note: I got a little gurgle on low C down on my Guardala Super King (Nadir)so I went to the drawer full of mouth pieces I have picked up over the years to see if I could get something to work. I had this Jody Jazz DV 7 that never worked that well for me in the past, but it's perfect on this horn.

Horn itself is really nice: Full pearls; nice engraving; original laquer; (gold laquered silver neck) Even the case is immaculate red leatherette with a King Canvas dust cover. Someone really babied this horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
leave a slip of paper between the pad and tone hole while the horn is in its case. will help cure this

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
743 Posts
There are two classic solutions to your sticky G# problem.
1. Take a dollar bill (has some cloth content) and place it between the pad and the tone hole. Hold down the pad cup with your thumb, and drag out the dollar bill. The friction of the cloth will clean off the grunge from the tone hole rim and the pad surface. It may take several drags to do it sufficiently, but it works.
2. Put a bit of lighter fluid on a cloth and clean the tone hole rim and pad surface with it. I have not tried this one, but I have seen it recommended several times here on SOTW.
Sax Magic

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
well, recipes for pad cleaning ( G# or otherwise) have been sparking very heated discussion previously! Anyway, whatever you think of WD 40 it is not an oil but at the very best just a cleaner solvent with minimal traces of oils in it. So it probably helps as a solvent of whatever makes your pad stick but it won't help much to prevent further sticking down the line. You could use withe spirit (naphtha ) to and then after it has cleaned the dirt ( on pad and tonehole rim) you could (my recipe) put some blotting paper sprayed with silicone spray or teflon spray in between pad and tonehole and close the pad a few times. this will penetrate a bit the leather of the pad and hopefully waterproof it and at the same time protect from further sticking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts