Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's on tour. I just got my tix for Boston, last night of the tour. There is pretty much nobody else I would go to a larger venue to see at this point but this is one I could not pass up.
If you have the chance to then go. Its Stevie Freakin' Wonder and his last tour was 12 years ago. I consider him to be a modern peer of Duke Ellington, a consumate musical master performer and composer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,816 Posts
he is an absolute genius, his music never fails to inspire me Songs in the key of life is one of the great masterpieces of this era! Enjoy! :)

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Stevie's music is truly inspiring. I pray he has a live band. Where did you get your tix?

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got online right at 10AM, they were sold out in less then one minute. I just got them on ebay from a scalper for only about $20 or so over what I would have had to pay ticketmaster per ticket. This is the way it is now on hotshows, getting them directly from the box office is getting increasingly harder for the average buyer. This is rare for me. I would maybe see Springsteen or Peter Gabriel again but can't think of anyone else who plays this size venue or larger that I would go to see anymore.

·
Registered
111 Posts
awesome!!!

we played 'Sir Duke' in 1996-7 in the University of Rhode Island big band, always rocked the house!

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
I saw him about twenty years ago at the Capital Center in a concert in the round (meaning his stage slowly spun around so all could eventually see him up front). I was in the second row until the folks in the first row got busted for smoking dope (apparently, Stevie didn't want to smell it.... that, or Reagan was in office), then we moved up. Great show, and I didn't want to miss a bit of it... until he did I Just Called To Say I Love You, then it was safe to get up and go for a beer.

C

·
0 Posts
Grumps said:
I saw him about twenty years ago at the Capital Center in a concert in the round (meaning his stage slowly spun around so all could eventually see him up front). I was in the second row until the folks in the first row got busted for smoking dope (apparently, Stevie didn't want to smell it.... that, or Reagan was in office), then we moved up. Great show, and I didn't want to miss a bit of it... until he did I Just Called To Say I Love You, then it was safe to get up and go for a beer.
Yeah, his later stuff is too touchy feelie for my taste, but his earlier stuff is great. I especially like his middle Funk years. Higher ground, Superstition, Sir Duke, Boogie on Reggae woman, Living for the city ... Awesome stuff !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
Kritavi said:
He's on tour. I just got my tix for Boston, last night of the tour. There is pretty much nobody else I would go to a larger venue to see at this point but this is one I could not pass up.
If you have the chance to then go. Its Stevie Freakin' Wonder and his last tour was 12 years ago. I consider him to be a modern peer of Duke Ellington, a consumate musical master performer and composer.
Thanks for the warning :D

I'll ensure I am somewhere else....with respect to his fans, I just find him extremely irritating, especially when someone requests (on the radio) "Happy Birthday to ya".....Change Channel/Off!

Good thing we aren't all alike though.....

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
As luck would have it: I was playing a gig at the Savoy, in Inglewood CA, with Barbara Morrison last month. She in one of the greatest blues/jazz/ R&B singers in the world! Up comes Stevie!!! He did four tunes including a version of Ribbon in the Sky, that made the record sound like an out-take! What an experience! What a genius!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,816 Posts
the man has produced some great classics of modern MUSIC and a few MUZAK classics too...elevators music...no doubt about it, but the great things are truly great. Seriously, Songs in the Key of life is (including Isn't she lovely....) one of the great classics. Also the albums Talking book and Innervision. Did you know he is a great drummer and bass player too?

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
THis goes back to one of those good music/bad music arguments (or what have you).

Stevie recorded so many AMAZING records and which song is his biggest seller of all time????? Arguably one of the blandest songs he's ever written. It's so bland it's not a song. It's a greeting card. Or better yet, just a ring tone (how aprapo). However, I cannot begrudge the man for performing or writing it even. It's a nice enough sentiment and we can all probably understand why it sold so much, it's catchy, like a cold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts