Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.junkdude.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id_product=3055

Saw this piece online, looks interesting. Square window like a clarinet mpc, removable baffle (?), and kind of an odd beak shape. Anyone have any experience with these? I went to Steve Wilkerson's website and could really find much about them. Looks like they might be made my Rovner? Does anyone know where these are from,material,quality,ect?

Thanks

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
It's a bright piece, but he sounds good on it. The baffle is *not* removable. Material is white plastic, and I think (but I'm not positive) they might have been built by Rovner, or had his aid in the design.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It was made by Rovner. A little while afterward they started making it out of black plastic and called it the "Rovner Wilkerson" model as part of the official Rovner line. I've always thought that the "contemporary" model (the one with the baffle) was much better than the "traditional" model.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I had the black Wilkerson alto mouthpiece maybe 8-10 years ago. I thought it was good for a while, until I started playing it against other pieces and noticing how hollow, harsh, and colorless the sound was.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Wow, old thread....

BUT I play one of these and have for years. Hadn't found much info on it, but here we are! It's got brightness, but an odd darkness to the timbre. I love it, but if the reed gets too soft, it gets squeaky and shrill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts