Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello lovers of Lacy . Does anyone know what year l change Lacy change saxophone, from the super actionI to the serieIII? or what was the first CD recorded with serieIII? thanks

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I'm trying to remember the first CD I saw with him playing a Series 3 ( with the curved neck). It came free with the book and CD's " Findings"..I gave it away. Steve worked with Selmer I believe so I guess he got one pretty early on. He sounded great on all the Selmers..the Sound of Jazz really in every note.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well, he played a Mark VI in the 60s and 70s. My guess is he made the switch to both the Super 80 and the Serie III more or less as soon as they were released, as Selmer was likely consulting him on the design for both. He mentions the change to the Super 80 in an interview somewhere (might be in "Conversations") noting—correctly, I'd add—there was no need for Selmer to have made such a radical change on the palm or pinky keys when the new horns came around. I still think the huge palm keys found on modern sopranos are pointless, though at least on the Serie III Selmer toned them down a bit. Lacy sounded marvelous his whole career, needless to say.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Hello lovers of Lacy . Does anyone know what year l change Lacy change saxophone, from the super actionI to the serieIII? thanks
Steve actually had TWO Serie III horns. He showed up in NYC with the first one in 1995 but was not happy with it ( he actually called it "a lemon" ), and kept switching back to his "Serie I" and alternating between them on occasions.

In 1998 / 1999, he got a very great Serie III from Selmer which he played exclusively until his death in 2004. That's the horn that is shown on my website.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Joe, did Lacy get rid of his Mk. VI when he switched to the Super 80, or does Irene still have that? Wish I had the cash to buy the Serie III, but alas...

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Joe, did Lacy get rid of his Mk. VI when he switched to the Super 80, or does Irene still have that? Wish I had the cash to buy the Serie III, but alas...
There is only the Serie III now.

Here's what I was recently told by a long and very close friend of Steve' (a producer, writer, musician):

... the LAST LPs where he plays his MK VI are "Spiritual Moments" * "Eternal Duo" * and "Interpretations of Monk".
One can clearly see his new Selmer Series I on the photos of his very next album, "The Flame" (Italian Soul Note) recorded in mid-January 1982.

Now don't ask me where his very last MK VI is ... DARN... (I wish I could have purchased THAT ONE!)
I have no idea... maybe at the Selmer factory in Paris ??? Every two years or so, he used to "exchange" his for a new one there......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts