Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steve sounded great on his size 10 tip Otto Links HR and #4 Rico reeds.

Anybody knows what ligature he used on that set up?

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
If you go to soprano planet and click on available horns ....you can see his sax mpce and lig in good photos At some point I think it is going to go to auction. Joe will know more

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hey, I just noticed on the SopranoPlanet pictures that Lacy's mpc was NOT A SLANT!!!
Take a good look kiddies! It's also NOT a "square chamber" that everyone here talks about.

whassup wit dat??

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Steve indeed had a Dukoff ligature. Folks seem to know it as a Vibrafree but I've never seen another and don't know if it a specific model.

The piece was definitely not a slant.

It is one of the "square" throat pieces but "square" doesn't really describe it. It's kind of a cross between an oval and square throat. I've had 4 of them here, including Steve's, and each was a bit different in the throat shape. They were all similar but not the same, even to the naked eye.

I have also seen really "square" throat Links but have been puzzled by them. The one I saw in person, I am almost certain, looked to be heavily altered, but lately I've seen a few that are for sale (not in person but in photos). So, it seems there may have been another incarnation of Links that had throats almost like a Selmer S80, but I really don't know anything about them at all. Maybe that "heavy alteration" was done right at the factory.

Besides the severe difference in throat shape, these really "square" throat pieces also have the longer shank that we find in modern Link TE pieces. Steve's model had the much shorter shank, as have all the "oval/square" pieces I have handled, including my own.

Also, the model Steve played was MUCH smaller than earlier or later Link models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts