Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm just interested to get an opinion on the box set that's been released recently - Steve Lacy: Solos Duos Trios - The Complete Remastered Recordings on Black Saint & Soul Note I'd be interested to know if all the albums are of high quality or if it's better to buy just a few of the recordings ad spend money elsewhere (on other recordings)?

Just to save people the problem of looking up the release info here's a list of the albums within this set :

Only Monk.
More Monk.
Sempre Amour.
Communique.
The Flame.
The Window.

I must say I'm rather tempted just because of the Lacy/Waldron duets! Of course if you have any other interesting stuff to add about this box set .... I'd love to hear/read it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Have you checked out the RCA/NOVUS stuff? I really like his works from that period. I saw him a number of times and always enjoyed the sextet the most.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
The Door, Live at Sweet Basil, Anthem are all excellent. I like pretty much his entire output. The Sextet had a lot going on and was one of my all time favorite groups to see live.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
I didn't know Black Saint released a box set of Steve Lacy's work so something else i need to check out although i have most of the duos and trios listed, and yes
Mal Waldron and Steve were quite the compatible pair, very intune with one another.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts