Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
.I dug it. I was there for 2 of those gigs....and spoke to Steve and WAS glad I did.He was sincere and LOVES the music.

LOOK....This guy is one of the_last_real players and a keeper of the standard flame.

DIG- What he said about Byas and Hawk. I rest my case. Guys are talking, and the ROOTS are thin...they have no clue on the reality of TRUE tenor legacy. :)
Steve is talking about the real thing and not some pre-fab II-V 1 Sears and Roebuck stuff. I always loved his blunt point of view...and thank god he spoke the truth.

He stems from Hawk, Heath, Dex and of course Trane. That to me is proof in his stuff. What he said via the Miles gig was his honest trutrhful opinion. I'm diggin' that.

God bless him SonnyMobley Trane...he at least is being blunt and also taking the time to be honest about how HE feels.

YMMV...But....This guy is one of the MAJOR cats IMHO- Sad he exists in Italy. He should be at the same gigs as all THE OTHER guys and truth will be told!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tim I agree Grossman is a giant, one of my favorites. I wish that I saw those shows.
In defense of this generation of players for the first time in a while I am liking the playing of some of the younger guys. Maybe as we sit here in 2011 there is just TOO Much stuff to absorb....too many directions that the music could go in. The guys that I like don't try to play EVERYTHING that came before them....

At the end of the day it comes down to Taste.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Couldn't agree more... Larry Willis' comments at the end are great. Thanks for sharing this!

Love to hear guys like Grossman so well versed in the tradition who could really touch you with their playing. Lin Halliday in Chicago was one of those guys, and to me Ferdinand Povel in Holland is another. Of course, Von Freeman was mentioned in another thread. James Clay, Yusef, Eddie Harris....

So many of these guys just don't get the recognition as flashier more commercially viable talents. But, they all are (or were) bringin' it every night...laying it all out there!

Shawn

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Don't forget about Lou Donaldson and Rusty Bryant. There are local cats out here in Oklahoma that come from "The Tradition" too. They are everywhere but it seems they are more appreciated in places so far and away from the birthplace of jazz and blues not unlike Italy.

B

·
Registered
359 Posts
"...and to me Ferdinand Povel in Holland is another."

Man, I never even heard of this guy! I'm hearing him on youtube now. He's terrific! Thanks for mentioning him. I'll be looking for his stuff.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,102 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I heard first Steve when he was 17 or 18 and I could not believe how good he was. He still inspires me to go practice.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
It's great to see him looking well and playing as good as ever. **** NY, they never appreciated him when he was there. It looks like living in Italy agrees with him.

·
7,866 Posts
Still can't get enough of 'live at the Lighthouse' with Grossman en Liebman together. Great album.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Man, I never even heard of this [Ferdinand Povel] guy! I'm hearing him on youtube now. He's terrific! Thanks for mentioning him. I'll be looking for his stuff.
Povel was featured along with Bruce Johnstone on MF Horn 4+5 Live at Jimmy's, I think he was on MF Horn 3 as well. I've also heard Povel with Doug Rainey (Meeting the Tenors) on Criss Cross. He teaches in Holland, I think. Got the Spirit and their ballad take on I'm Gettin Sentimental Over You are terrific.

Grossman always a monster to me, I think so much of the "NY Tenor" sound and approach (Brecker, Mintzer, Bill Evans, etc.) comes out of what Grossman along with Lieb were doing. And Grossman's tone is so wonderful, can't get enough.

Elvin Jones had a record Mr Thunder, think it was on an obscure label like East/West or something like that. Roland Prince is on it, Grossman, Milton Suggs.. they play Antigua, Three Card Molly, New Moon, and a beautiful ballad called Geneva. It's got some of the most amazing Grossman I ever heard (on the same level with Live at the Lighthouse). Grossman shows many facets of his playing, from warm buttery ballad playing to that Traneish roar...here's an audio sample from a store selling this on vinyl...I ended up burning a CD from my cassette copy as I never could find this on CD.

http://www.recordmania.net/media/music/EJN61032A.mp3

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
I remember bidding, and losing, on a very rare Grossman side with Chick Corea that was recorded in Italy. It looked like it had been done when they were both with Miles. I'd like to find that side.

·
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's great to see him looking well and playing as good as ever. **** NY, they never appreciated him when he was there. It looks like living in Italy agrees with him.
What really caught my attention besides how he sounded was how good he looked. Its great to see.

·
6,260 Posts
I remember bidding, and losing, on a very rare Grossman side with Chick Corea that was recorded in Italy. It looked like it had been done when they were both with Miles. I'd like to find that side.
This might be what you speak of...VERY VERY RARE.
But with the net'...you might sometime find it. It's LP and I never saw it on CD as of yet.

Chick Corea - The Sun (Toshiba (J) ETP 9016)
Steve Grossman (ts, Chinese musette) Chick Corea (p) Steve Jackson (various inst.) Dave Holland (b) Jack DeJohnette (d)

September 14, 1970
Moon Dance
Slumber
The Sun, Pt. 1&2
The Moon

·
6,260 Posts
What really caught my attention besides how he sounded was how good he looked. Its great to see.
Steve is a SURVIVOR- And if he lived in NYC that might be like a been there/done that for him.

I wish him the best-he DOES look great.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,877 Posts
Just bought 4 cds by Steve, Wow , for the last 2 weeks it's been nothing but checking him out. I'm transcribing some things on Way Out east vol1 . I bought that and vol2 plus the live in NY with McCoy Tyner and the album w/Michael Petrucciani. It's all killer to the max.
I can't believe I really never checked out Steve Grossman much before. what a monster !!!
In the interview he said being young and being able to focus. He's just a pure natural man...

·
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just bought 4 cds by Steve, Wow , for the last 2 weeks it's been nothing but checking him out. I'm transcribing some things on Way Out east vol1 . I bought that and vol2 plus the live in NY with McCoy Tyner and the album w/Michael Petrucciani. It's all killer to the max.
I can't believe I really never checked out Steve Grossman much before. what a monster !!!
In the interview he said being young and being able to focus. He's just a pure natural man...
Way Out East Volumes 1 and 2 are great LOTS OF STANDARDS.
I just bought DO IT also great, Check out Katonah it is also another great album.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts