Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
I see the warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship for 5 years; it doesn't guarantee that it does what it says. Check the Saxgourmet store policies on trials, returns and refunds carefully.

I am skeptical that this would work as advertised -- I don't believe air actually "flows" with any significant velocity through the horn in order to produce sound -- it's a standing wave, tightly coupled to the vibration of the reed. The reed is forced to vibrate according to whatever length of the tube is closed, depending upon which keys are depressed or not at the moment. Whatever air you blow in energizes the reed/vibrating air column system, then leaks out the open tone holes -- as sound, not jets of hot breath. I believe someone here described an experiment with a single tone from a loudspeaker piped into the neck of the sax, and all the notes were playable just by operating the keywork. There's also the well-known experiment in which you "float" a tissue over the bell, proving that air simply does not blast out the end of the horn. I think everything depends upon the energy imparted upon/maintained directly at the reed.

Now one might instead argue that the Mach 6 Neck Enhancer changes the internal geometries of the mouthpiece and/or sax neck, and therefore the resulting mix of playing frequencies ("timbre/tone/presence/projection/volume [subjective]") obtained. I find it hard to believe any of those other claims, or the explanations provided. Reminds me of the claims made in all the ads for throttle body spacers, intake swirl enhancers/turbulence inducers/reducers, open air filter element kits, etc. -- all promising "up to 70 + increases in hp".

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting analogies Rex, it would an expensive experiment for sure. But as you well know we all want "more" of whatever "it" is..I'm very pleased with my current Tenor tone, but hey a little "more" couldn't hurt, right? Wish they made it for Alto, that horn is still a bear for me.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
more voodoo doo doo if you ask me,

I suspect it changes the internal volume (reduction) and will sharpen the scale, maybe adding upper harmonics making it sound "louder"

save your hard earned cash and do some long tones. ;-)

·
Registered
45 Posts
This looks like a different approach to something that Randy Jones (Tenor Madness and associated with SaxQuest) has been offering for years. A couple of my friends swear by a modification he made during overhauls. He adds a little plastic tubing extension of the neck to smooth the transition from the mouthpiece to the neck. Similar claims.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Guys. Hey. I understand the knee-jerk reaction considering the source but to be fair someone just needs to give it a try and either find it lacking or effective. :dontknow:

·
Registered
500 Posts
I tried to be careful to express my doubts without trashing the product "sight unseen". The problem with "just giving it a try" is the less-than-liberal trial/return/refund policies at Saxgourmet (check 'em out at the web store). I suppose someone with an established relationship with him might be allowed to trial one for a sufficient period to evaluate it and post results? I'm afraid others may be as skeptical as I am, though.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I agree with the healthy skeptisism.
Some "advanced" technology is simply altered results that aren't worth the experiment with your money. If you could try it and return it after a number of days and get a full refund , well then I would be impressed.

People like the Kesslers with there refund policies and music 123 and others with full refund policies (Weiners music too) are the way to go.

I have learned through errors of my own that any one who won't advance you a trial on his dollar is selling you something and it isn't the product you think.

"snake oil" comes in many shapes and sizes.

The best magic for better sound is more practice.

I was going to buy a Tenor sax from a noted Sax Player/Seller but was rudely dismissed when I asked for an extended trial period. Just the tone of his language was enough to see his message.
Buy it or get lost .
Some how his southern charm just evaporated.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love this place..a healthy dose of reality for sure...My long tones are plenty solid and I play the best horns and mpcs money could buy..so, do I want more..?? OF COURSE I do..but I do think in all due respect, it's sorta like freezing your horn or removing all the lacquer..there is a certain amount of Voo-Doo and Snake Oil involved in these processes as well. On the other hand sometimes an idea actually works..let's chip in and get one and we'll pass it around for opinions :twisted:

·
Forum Contributor 2006 Distinguished SOTW Member
919 Posts
Bar-Ron said:
I was going to buy a Tenor sax from a noted Sax Player/Seller but was rudely dismissed when I asked for an extended trial period. Just the tone of his language was enough to see his message.
Buy it or get lost .
Some how his southern charm just evaporated.
HMMMMMMMMM I wonder who he's talking about :scratch:

·
The Professor
281 Posts
There was an ad in the Saxophone Journal a while back (a couple of years ago I think) for an 'acuosticoil', or some similar name, that is placed into the neck on saxes and trumpets, etc and is supposed to increase the edge in the tone. Same concept I suspect. I don't think this was a Goodson product though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree with the person who said the beauty thing about long tones.
I saw S. Goodson's ideas about changing things in the sax to make it play better, but then.. somehow I got a feeling that this will yield a rock n roller type of tone.
I mean: if everything goes so easy on the sax, and smooth after those modifications, Noyek things, neck enhancer, then .. something, then again something... you will get a sax which screams with the slightest amount of pressure. Just like on steroids.

Sorry, it's just like getting a girl which does everything you order her to.

·
Registered
799 Posts
baga wrote:
Sorry, it's just like getting a girl which does everything you order her to.

Is there a problem with that? Wink

more to the point does this mythical beast really exist??

·
Registered
747 Posts
Actually, I had a chinese girlfriend many years ago. She was raised by her mother to serve her man. She would remove my shoes, fetch me food and drink, and literally to anything I requested. At first I greatly enjoyed it. After several months, I began to long for an equal partner rather than a servant. After 20+ years of marrage to a very headstrong woman, I can say that I made the right choice. But, there are times...

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.