Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a copy of his DVD from his website..... there's no doubt that what he teaches is great information, but was anyone else who ordered it disappointed bby the quality of the film? I mean, $100 is not alot of money to spend considering how much his class actually costs, but I though it would be a little more professional quality, especially at that price.

I'm not complaining, but just wonder if anyone else was surprised by this... I love his site and all of his information he gives out for free.. so I guess my expectations were a little high, which is probably my own fault.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
Mama Pandora, your trunk is a very big today.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have the DVD. I think it's a great overview and cool to see how a good tech works. But it doesn't go into a lot of detail. But still helpful. Recently I watched the section again on stuck key removal when I had to deal with several keys frozen on a vintage horn. But here again he shows how to remove the key and then just says that a new rod will have to be made. It's a pretty entertaining video too. I also like the beginning when he does the initial evaluation of the horn - something you automatically do when horns come in for repair.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
spartacus said:
Mama Pandora, your trunk is a very big today.
Hmmm. Shhh!

A simple answer to the question?

Goodson = marketing. He's 'good' at it. You gotta respect him for his 'success' at that.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
No, but I just researched him. :)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
If Steve Goodson is not wacky, I don't know who is. But I am not insulting him. I would rather be wacky than a normal person. You could have bought a hundred dollar kit kit from music medic.com, with all the tools that you need to fix saxes, and it comes with instructions. Not to be rude, but I think really, a LOT of his Items are over priced. Then again, it is his business, and he can set the prices.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
I buy from musicmedic all the time as well, but musicmedic and Goodson are friends.

I personally think you got your moneys worth with the video. Yes it was $100, and it could have been better and some of Goodson's ideas don't really work that well.....like the huge pips, the asorbathane to stop key flutter on the lower stack, and many of the mods he does to original equipment that make you cringe. That said he offered some tips and ideas that many would have to see first hand in order to understand, so that's worth something. I have no problem with the man and he is wacky, but in a harmless lovable sort of way. I get the impression that he's a nice guy. So I take what I can learn from him and get what I need from others that are more in line with my way of thinking.

I'd personally like to see a dvd library produced by Randy at Tenor Madness and Sarge at WWS. Perhaps a video as well with some of the best mouthpiece techs. I doubt they'd want to give out all their little secrets.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
heath said:
I have no problem with the man and he is wacky, but in a harmless lovable sort of way. I get the impression that he's a nice guy.
Your perception amazes me Heath. Good show. Just for fun though, search alt.music.saxophone for "hornsmasher" and you'll see some of his best work.

·
4,046 Posts
Grumps I couldn't find any pictures. I did however find a site that goes into great detail about being ripped off by Goodson and that his work is really bad.

If this is true then it's sad that he chooses to keep such a public profile. I would hide my head in shame if I trashed someones Mk VI. Like I mentioned earlier some of his ideas make me cringe and I can assure you I'd never send him one of my horns. I guess that pretty much sums it up. When I say he's harmless I mean he can't harm you if you don't let him touch your horn. On a side note I'd really like to see him get a haircut. :)

·
4,046 Posts
I saw a picture of Steve in his younger days with his shirt off wearing a leather vest and pot belly sticking out, yikes! He has an MBA and he's married to a 6 foot tall red head. Something doesn't make sense.

Anyone testify as to his chops. Apparently he teaches, but from the demonstration he gave on his DVD it sounded like he was playing a kazoo on steroids.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts