Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new soprano. I play on a Martin soprano which I bought back in the early '80's. I think these horns were made by Yanagisawa. I love the action, intonation and tone of the horn. I think much of my "success" with the horn has had to do with the mp/reed combination of a metal Beechler #5 and a blue box Vandoren The only thing that has bugged me is the high register - sometimes the notes don't speak, at least with consistency.

Anyway, I'm looking for a horn with the same good qualities I mentioned above plus a horn that has a high register that speaks easily. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It sounds like you need to figure out your mpce/reed combo, not buy a new horn. It'll be way cheaper, too.

·
Registered
579 Posts
wgs said:
I love the action, intonation and tone of the horn.
If above is true, then look no further.

As well as the other suggestions of changing your set up, can you make the most of what you have. Could you treat your mouthpiece to a check and reface if needed, is the table perfectly flat (?$70) or have you had a good tech check the sax for tiny leaks, regulation etc (?$80).

If you love the qualities you get already from your sax, changing it may only bring disappointment and a lighter wallet rather than a darker tone!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well maybe I should have asked something like, "How do the top of the line Yannis, Selmers, Yamaha soprano saxes compare to the late Martin models".

Over the years, I've experimented with several mp/read combinations and the Beechler 5/ vandoren 3 has worked the best for me. I would just like to play on a horn where I can approach the high notes with confidence knowing that the notes will speak. I know part of the problem is me but I think there's something inherently wrong with the octave mechanism or some part of the horn. And although I don't want to spend any more money than necessary I do want the best horn possible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,300 Posts
wgs: I think the new YanAgiasaw S901 is the best soprano buy these days. I've owned a ton of different sopranos over the years and I like the S901 as good as any of them.

I know that some sops don't speak in the high register as well as others, but for the ones I've played, the best hi-end comes from my 1928 Buescher TrueTone.

With new sops, my S901 does the hi-end the best. DAVE

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm going to try the Yanagisawa S901. But I'm not going to get rid of the Martin!

·
3,000 Posts
good man-i still regret trading away my early yani ! never found another horn to match it

·
878 Posts
Make sure you try a Yamaha 875EX.

·
3,000 Posts
since i traded away my yani i have had -yamaha ys62r-and selmer s80 ser3 -my yani was better tha both although the yamaha was close

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I think the early yani is far superior to the 62R I had for awhile. I'm trying to get used to the palm keys but the tone is really exquisite.

·
Registered
149 Posts
wgs said:
I think I'm going to try the Yanagisawa S901. But I'm not going to get rid of the Martin!
Sounds like a good idea. Although I have never tried an early Yana sop, and I am sure they are as good as everyone says, trying another horn can be interesting, and you might find you like the S901 even better for what you want it for. It may not be that the S901 is better than early Yanas, it could just be that the S901 you try may help you do what you want to do even more than the particular Yana you have.

If you want to try it for more than just an hour or two, or a few days, you could get it on ebay. If you don't pay too much, you won't be out so much cash than if you buy a new one. The only problem, if you want to call it that, is that you might find that you like the S901 enough that you want to keep it. That's what happened to me.

·
3,000 Posts
the best thing about the yamaha 62r was the key action-really fast and smooth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the Yanagisawa s901 arrived early this evening and I have to say...

it's definitely a step up from the Martin!

The action is very similar to my old horn, the intonation (as far as I can tell) is excellent like my old horn, but the upper register responds much better - that's the big difference.

And it's really cool that the horn SMOKES right out of the box. I'm one happy camper.

But I'm still going to keep my Martin...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts