Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fellow SOTW members,

I got some very bad news yesterday. I've been having trouble with my vision, and since I'm a type 2 diabetic, I knew I had better hightail it to the ophthalmologist. It appears that I have cataracts and diabetic retinopathy. The former is treatable, the second leads to blindness. My case is quite severe, so we are going to try a treatment to attempt to slow down the inevitable. They will be injecting a drug into both of my eyeballs to HOPEFULLY stop the bleeding and seepage of liquid onto my retina and the back interior of my eyeballs.

I'm going to try to remain here as long as my sight will permit me to. SOTW has become an old friend, and frankly I need it to keep my sanity as I take this frightening journey in the struggle to keep what vision I have left, for as long as I can.

Thanks to all of you who have supported and friended me over the many years. Any thoughts and prayers that you care to send my way would be very much appreciated.

Michael Semann.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,981 Posts
Mike.... am sending positive vibes your way.

Hang in there and I know I speak for the entire SOTW community when I say we are all pulling for ya'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
Whew... Mike, thanks for trusting in our community enough to share this.

Compassion to you and yours,

George

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Michael, sorry to hear about your situation! I don't know where you are based but back when I was still working in ophthalmology, the Maryland Retina Institute was the best place for your situation. The founder, Bert Glaser is apparently no longer there but for what it's worth, here is the link: http://www.marylandretinainstitute.com/

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Sorry to hear this has progressed to this point. I will be sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. You've done an amazing job on this forum and we are all better off because of your efforts. Thank you for everything you do, and have done, for all of us here.

- Saxaholic

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,736 Posts
Michael, I really appreciate the enormous contribution you've made to the forum over the years, especially in the thankless task of keeping us in line, and am saddened to see your continued participation threatened. Best wishes with your treatment.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you EVERYONE for the kind posts and messages. This had been a great help for me, as I am more than a bit frightened by this whole situation. A surprising number of the members here are employed in the optical related medical and technical field, and have offered some excellent advice and information. Once the initial shock has subsided a bit, I need to research all of my options.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wishing you all the best in this frightening time.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
All the best, Mike. You're on my prayer list. Vision issues are very important to me having lost my right eye to cancer 20 years ago. I know this is a lot to deal with. Please know that we are all with you, my friend!
George

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,204 Posts
I so wish there was something that I could do to make this better for you.
My 'Mommy' need to fix whatever is wrong has kicked in. My heart wants to make you better.
I will send the good vibes and keep the fingers crossed that the progression is slowed to less than a snail's pace.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want everyone to know that your kind words, thoughts and prayers mean more to me than you will ever know. I'm at the lowest state of despair I have ever experienced in my life. And I have had a rough go of it for most of my time on this planet. It heartens me to know that there are so many rooting for me with this terrible onus.

Some of you in the know have sent me very valuable information concerning my condition, and viable treatments to slow down the blindness. It gives me some ray of hope to keep going.

May everyone have a blessed Thanksgiving.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
So sorry to learn of this; hoping, with all my heart, that you, with the help of your medical team, pull through and achieve the best possible outcome.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts