Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Stephan Kammerer DM Origin, designed with David Mann, is just terrific IMO guys. I don't know that I'll ever lust after another metal piece. It's got everything I hoped it would. It lets me do what I want to do. It's a perfect compliment to the Theo Wanne Slant Sig hard rubber, and I'm quite satisfied with both. The transition between them is virtually seamless, with the DM Origin being a bit bigger. Neither piece is bright nor dark, and again, let me do what I want to do. I've played and rejected dozens of others, so I feel that I have a discerning ear. Of course, our ears, minds, expectations, and needs are all different. Here's what Stephan told me about the piece.

"It’s an original design that I created in collaboration with a CAD engineer and the blanks are cut on a CNC machine. Each blank requires 5-6 hours of hand work and finishing that I do to complete a piece. I outsource the plating, it is a two-step micron rhodium plating. It’s a medium chamber rollover baffle piece in the vein of a metal Otto Link mouthpiece and there’s nothing groundbreaking in that. What makes this piece different are the particular dimensions and properties of the chamber and baffle designs. It took some prototyping and adjustments to the process to get it right."

You'll find 4 or 5 great players playing it on YouTube. They all sound tremendous, which made me have to try it! https://www.skmouthpieces.com/all-products/dm-origin

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I listened to a bunch of demos on You Tube, sounds great but would be better if some of these NYC hot shots slow it down on how many notes they can play. It's a mouthpiece demo not a display of technique.

·
Registered
374 Posts
"It’s a medium chamber rollover baffle piece in the vein of a metal Otto Link"

Does this mean that the chamber/throat is smaller than a Link?

·
Registered
634 Posts
hey there I want to revive this thread a bit after coming back from a trip to Stephan's place in NYC. I tried a couple of his DM Origin pieces and they're really really fantastic! What Stephan told me pretty much sums up the piece nicely, to paraphrase "I didn't want to make an Otto Link copy but an alternative to something within that concept." As a link player the piece felt very comfortable and extremely even throughout the registers with plenty of timbral wiggle room. It's a little brighter than my link but the tone was more complex and very dynamic without being a "bright piece." I strongly encourage folks to give these a try, I was very very impressed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts