Sax on the Web Forum banner

Staying in the neighborhood of $2k Cigar Cutter or VII or...

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Square 
#1 ·
That's it. I'm shopping altos and I'm curious What would you do?

Assuming I can stay around $2k and find something playable or only in need of minor adjustments. What would be better? VII, Cigar Cutter, or Balanced Action.

Seems it comes down to new key work vs old, New ergos vs old.

Let's be honest, if I add my skill level to the mix I would be deciding on a Vito vs YAS23. So let's leave me out of the equation.

Any thoughts? I'm asking because I recently bought a nice Conn Tranny, but if I drop another $800 to have it rebuilt (not that it needs it) I may be better off looking at something else.

#3 ·
You would be very , very lucky to get a BA for $2,000. This is all personal preference and you should try the horns. I would get a VII because I don't like the old key work. Even though many complain about the size of the pinky keys of the VII, I found it easy to get used to with a a nice tone and good build quality. VII's are probably the most undervalued Selmers.

#4 ·
For $2k, I'd skip all of these and just pick up a nice, used Series II alto. These have been out long enough for good ones to depreciate to el cheapo prices.

Nothing special about cigar cutter or BA altos, and most you find have 'excuses'.

Good M6 is gonna be lots more than $2k, anyways. Plus, a good modern horn plus mouthpiece/reed setup will get you as good as you wanna be.

#10 ·
Nothing special about BA altos?!!!??!!! Have you ever played one? The one I have here is a monster player. As good as one can expect a horn to sound and play. My backup horn is an amazing MKVI. A used Yani A991 is a seriously undervalued horn. You can get them for under $2K.

#7 ·
Don't you love when somebody is looking for real horn and you hear the Cannonball brand come up?
Personally, I'd try a Conn 6M (rolled tone holes or not) if you want a great sounding vintage horn. When it comes to altos usually the ergos don't seem so hard to get around.

#13 ·
any horn you buy that is older for 2k is going to need a job most likely. older series 1 and 2 altos in that range are great horns but most of them will have pads that are 20 years old. if you are starting your saxophone journey (you implied that above) , i would say to have the conn fixed up, play it for a year or two and then go shopping. that when you try these other horns you will eb abel to tell for yourself what you like and don't like.

besides even if you sink 800 into the conn, assuming its a 6m style, you should be able to get most of your money out of it when you move on (if you decide to).

#15 ·
Too late... I was tempted by a nice Yamaha 82z. It really has a sound that just does it for me. Funny cuz I always turned up my nose at Yamahas. Guess I didn't know what I was missing. Now I just need to strive to be a good enough player to justify owning it. Off to the woodshed.

Thnx for all the responses.

#18 ·
Man - you really should have your Conn overhauled while you are playing the other horn. I'm willing to bet that once they are both in good playing shape and the playing field is leveled, it will blow the Yamaha out of the water. You're sitting on a gem there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.