Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finishing an account of the rise and fall of Stax Records in Memphis. What a terrible story of a great company completely falling apart in a short period of time.

The book I've been reading doesn't go into it, but that must have put a bunch of great horn players out of work.

The 70s!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,150 Posts
Just remember that Hunter S. Thompson quote. The record industry is "a long plastic hallway...where good men die like dogs...and then there's a negative side."

And it ain't just to do with the 70s. That's just when nose-candy became a medium of exchange and wretched excess became a contractual clause.

Record guys have traditionally been Show Business Weasels 2nd Class, the kind who can't hack it in the movies or TV, and have to play dirty to stay alive and dirtier yet to prosper.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think that Kirk Whalum is doing alot of work with Stax Music Academy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that Kirk Whalum is doing alot of work with Stax Music Academy.
Hey thanks for that info! I have been looking at all the websites of the various organizations involved--seems like an absolutely great bunch of folks!

http://www.soulsvillefoundation.org/

If anybody has any gear to donate, this might be a great place for it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,150 Posts
And to think how much money they could have made, not just for themselves but for the label.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The Stax stuff was some of my favorite when growing up. In April of this year, my band, Mingo Fishtrap, got to play for the 10th anniversary of the Stax Academy in Memphis. It was both a thrill and an honor. You owe it to yourself to visit the Stax Museum if you get to Memphis. They have done an incredible job showcasing the history of Stax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
The Stax stuff was some of my favorite when growing up.
Boys in the garage bands
Boys playin' the bars
They're burnin' up the old Farfisas
They're strappin' on guitars

They're turnin' back the pages
They're lookin' up the facts
They're playin' at the altar of rythmn 'n blues
Bowing down in the churches... STAX!

Some Memphis thing
Some Memphis blues thing...

- Rob Junklas, Memphis Thing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts