Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum, and while looking around I noticed that I had something in common (other than the obvious) with many of the members, and I'm interested to hear if you felt like me about it.

I started playing saxophone when I was thirteen and when I was eighteen I was recruited to the IDF and had to drop it completely. After three years as an infantry fighter/sgt, on November 24th 2006, I got out and picked it up again (I always knew I will).

There was one challenge I didn't expect. When I was learning to play originally I was doing it while discovering all the great players. I remember the first time I heard Charlie Parker, Coltrane, Wayne Shorter, Ornette Coleman, Sidney Bechet (and a million more). My mind was constantly blown, and I had periods of sounding like all the saxophonists above and a mixture of them :). After the army though, I was listening to Leonard Cohen and Johnny Cash, Astor Piazzola and Tom Waits. They're all great musicians, but how am I suppose to play saxophone? So I started playing more and more, building my playing basically from nothing (didn't learn any lines or something like that), and it took me a long time to transfer between being style-less (which is what I was, and it's not good) to feeling like I found my own style.

Did you guys feel like you had a similar experience (those of you that took a long break)?

Sorry for the long post.

Danny

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well, I started fairly recently after a long layoff. I was the opposite of you, though, when I was younger; I didn't listen much to the greats. I was totally into bands. I loved to listen to Bobby Militello and Mark Colby and Bruce Johnstone, Frank Tiberi, etc., with their big bands (Ferguson, Herman, all the rest). I never listened much at all to Rollins or Parker or Adderley or any of the greats. My mistake, my loss. Now I just try to sound good, I don't try to sound like anyone else - besides, I'm sure I'm not good enough to pull that off! I just hope I can sound like me and the sound is adequate, sometimes perhaps good. I think I am getting there. is that what you meant or am I way off?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I meant. I want to hear about the difference people feel the first time they started playing vs the first time they started playing after a long break (at least a couple of year). I just think it's interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts