Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back posting after a bit of a break from the forums! (college has been crazy). A few of my friends and I have been working for the past year or so on putting a saxophone quartet together as we dabbled with it a little bit casually in high school. Well, we've gotten everything together now except for one last hurdle, we have no bari sax and a poor bari sax player :p. If anyone knows of anyone or anywhere in the Phoenix area who would rent out a decent low to mid level baritone saxophone for cheap, that'd be great. Or if you know of anyone I could contact who may know a guy who knows a guy, we'll take anything at this point. Thank you!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
19,061 Posts
Have you talked to the folks at Milano's on Main Street in downtown Mesa?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
we have no bari sax and a poor bari sax player
If this musician doesn't have a baritone sax, what makes him/her the "bari sax player"? Has he played that horn with you before? Or did he volunteer (or was designated) as the bari player because someone had to fill that position?

If you fail to locate a suitable horn after a reasonable period of time, another option would be to advertise for a baritone sax player. You might find it easier to attract someone to a playing role in an ensemble than to attract a sax by itself for low dollars. It all depends on whether your ultimate goal is to form a functional saxophone quartet, or to do something saxophone-related with a specific and unmodifiable group of friends.

If you added an actual bari player, perhaps the other person could still remain on another horn. You could play quintet repertoire and also take turns on the quartet repertoire. Five musicians including a baritone is much better than four musicians without a baritone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,707 Posts
A bari sax player is a person who owns a bari sax AND can play it.

Really. Ya gotta meet both criteria.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I should've clarified. This isn't a business venture and we aren't trying to build a livelihood out of this. We're a group of four best friends and we played in a quartet in high school when we had rental instruments at our disposal. We've all moved on to college over the past few years and we want to "get the band back together' you could say. We are not interested in hiring a player as this is something we want to do in our time together. She plays bari, and extremely well at that. We just need a temporary instrument in order to even begin to work on things.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
If there are 4 of you, consider pooling your resources and buying one.

If y'all can muster $1100-ish, then you can get a used one (Low Bb) probably. Perhaps you can find a used one for less, but it'll have issues...

I have a couple of candidates in my shop here which I can work up fully for around that price.

It would be the 'group' horn, so to speak, so y'all would have to work out the details of that...

Best of luck, sounds like a fun endeavor.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
We are not interested in hiring a player as this is something we want to do in our time together.
I wasn't suggesting that you hire someone. I suggested inviting another player to join. Make a new friend! Even amateur groups have to cover all the parts. To repeat, five musicians including a baritone is better than four musicians without one.

Otherwise, your best bet is probably to undertake a group purchase of a used instrument, as JayePDX suggested. That wouldn't be simple, but at least it would give you prompt access to a horn of your choice (you set your own budget). Here's a place that will rent a baritone sax, but it costs $125/month plus a $250 deposit: https://www.iqinstrumentrentals.com/Baritone-Sax-Bari-Sax-Student-Musical-Rental-p/1013.htm.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Could you try arranging something with your old High School? They might be willing to let you use their Bari (or rehearsal space) after school. You might have to considering coming in to perform/work with students in exchange.

-Bubba-

·
Registered
615 Posts
The renting option sounds good but will quickly add up to the price of a decent used bari. I found a very nice 1958/9 Conn 12M on Reverb for $675 that needed a couple of minor adjustments from my tech (who charged me nothing). A vintage horn is probably your best bet. If between the 4 member you put together $1000 and you search diligently or hook up with JayePDX, you could get a decent Bari. Focus on undervalued brands like Martin, Buescher, Holton, Grassi, later Jupiters, etc.

JayePDX, do you still have the Holton for sale?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I wasn't suggesting that you hire someone. I suggested inviting another player to join. Make a new friend! Even amateur groups have to cover all the parts. To repeat, five musicians including a baritone is better than four musicians without one.

Otherwise, your best bet is probably to undertake a group purchase of a used instrument, as JayePDX suggested. That wouldn't be simple, but at least it would give you prompt access to a horn of your choice (you set your own budget). Here's a place that will rent a baritone sax, but it costs $125/month plus a $250 deposit: https://www.iqinstrumentrentals.com/Baritone-Sax-Bari-Sax-Student-Musical-Rental-p/1013.htm.
I like the idea of bringing in another member that has a bari. I recently ended up playing bari in a local community band. I never really focused on bari, as I usually played soprano, but the community band was having problems find a bari player who actually had a bari! So when I inquired about the band and told them I had a bari, they told me they didn't need a soprano player, but really needed a bari player (with a bari)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts