Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my high school (I'm in 9th grade) our music director is letting me start a jazz ensemble. It's a completely new school and we don't already have a jazz ensemble, or very many kids, so me and our director decided to make a jazz combo. I found a couple classmates interested, but we still need a bassist/guitarist. So my questions are, what other instrumentations could work well without a bass/guitar? Any other suggestions/tips?

P.S. Here's a bunny.

(l l)
(._.)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Nice! I like your ambition!

When I was a freshman, nobody could go to the after school combo, so there was a Tuba, Guitar, and Sax. You could always do a sort of jazz sax quartet stuff, with other instruments mixed into the gaps.
Another option... You could have a person, or a few people, walk a predetermined bass line, have a few people do chord "hits" and then others playing melody/soloing.

-Bubba-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
You could always use Tuba and make either a dixieland group or a New Orleans style brass band.

My senior year of HS, or jazz band was very small and we actually had a french horn player playing the bass part on a keyboard (using the bass sound).

·
Registered
35 Posts
This isn't a recommendation, 'cause I'm not sure if it's a good idea. More an idea for input from some more experienced jazzers:

Depending on who you've already got interested, what about starting off with some recorded backing tracks, like the Aebersold ones? Of course, playing with other musicians would always be preferable, but it could be one possibility to get the show on the road while you're all motivated. You can keep searching for other players in the meantime.

Please, anyone speak up if you think that would be a bad path to go down!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts