Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I currently play alot of classical tenor, and crap through jazz on a classical MPC. I'm looking for a starter jazz mouthpiece. I like gritty tenor sound, but still bright. Coltrane comes to mind as a good example of what I like. He has a clear tone, and he's not overly bright, but he's gritty at the same time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Heck, why not go for the RPC 0.150 B that Bayviewsax was offering a while back? Might as well jump in the deep end.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Otto links are good, and so are berg larsens, if your talking metal that is. If you are looking for a non metal mpc, then vandorens are good to start on, but if you are able to get through jazz witha classical, then i don't see why you cant get a metal mouthpiece. I don't think vandorens make that good of a metal one, but it could be good to get used to a metal jazz mpc. Find a music shop and go and test a few out. Look for one that knows what they are talking about when it comes to mouthpieces, they can help you probaly a lot more then we can. lol

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,547 Posts
A lot of the 'grit' will come more easily with a softer reed, so I might suggest that you move to something basic (like a Link) in a .090 or larger tip and start with 2.5 reeds, maybe Rico Jazz Select.

·
2,513 Posts
For the money I don't think you can do any better than a Jody Jazz HR*.

As far as tip opening goes, I would just start with a 7* (.105") if I were you. If you start with a softer reed it will be a very manageable opening, and as you get stronger chops you can move up to harder reeds if you want, and eventually get any sound you're going for. There isn't much a 7* can't do, I think; it's certainly what I've landed on after playing much bigger and much smaller.

If you prefer a Link sound, I would look for a used one on ebay and then said it to Brian Powell or a similar guy to get it right to the tip opening you want; in the process he'll clean up the facing and make the mouthpiece much better to play. With that you'll have a piece you can use for ever.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ryan K,

Hi. I was in your shoes once. During that time, the Vanduran Java T75 was the suggested piece to me.

Speeding on up to this day in age...

I would like to inform you (and everyone else for that matter) that I currently have my Dukoff LD7 mouthpiece on auction at ebay. There are only 6 days left, no reserve, and it comes with a cap and rovner lig. Check the pics out at ebay.
Seriously, I think my LD7 would be perfect for you. Read my description on ebay. You mentioned you like the Coltrane sound, and are leaning towards a link. The inner workings of the LD7 are similar to links. This thing has an amazing colorful core to the sound (bluesy), and is a very easy player.
When Mr. Dukoff made this for me in 1996, I wanted a nice rich, full, projecting tone that was not as bright as his D7 model. He pegged it.
In conclusion, its really my loss sense I didn't put a reserve on it. Try to win that piece Ryan K (it's only at $45 right now) and you will have what you are looking for.

Peace Always,

SneekyJones

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just as an update, I want with an Otto Link Super Tone Master 6*(Metal). I almost went with an Sr Technologies legend, but it was out of my price range.
I tried about 4 of the 6*'s, and settled on one. Its giving me a nice big rustic sound, and I've found I can control the brightness and power easily with the correct ligature and reed combination.

·
2,513 Posts
Good move. Trying a handful of the same piece and picking the best one for you is the way to go. My friend Chris McGuire has played a metal Link 6* for twenty years and sounds incredible, he's one of my favorite undiscovered, under-appreciated jazz saxophonists alive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.