Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I started video recording some practice sessions and it's humbling to say the least. I have all sorts of suggestions for myself. It's just amazing that I not able to hear the annoying thing I do while I'm actually playing. The brain is elsewhere. One really weird item is that I play nearly every long note at the end of a phrase flat. So bizzare. It's like a vibrato that only goes down. Why don't I hear that when I'm playing - well I hear it now.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
Well I started video recording some practice sessions and it's humbling to say the least. I have all sorts of suggestions for myself. It's just amazing that I not able to hear the annoying thing I do while I'm actually playing. ...
That's the same reaction I had about 10 years ago (audio only) . It was very depressing and demotivating. But it's the first step towards improvement.

· Registered
24 Posts
It's quite an eye (ear?) opener.
I think we are all very self critical, sometimes overly, a bit like hearing our own voice. Hearing things that noone else does. It's very subjective.

It's great to tear it apart and give focus on what we feel needs work.

I think, maybe I'm just really crap 😳

· TOTM administrator
S: R&C Half-curved, EM Curvy; A: YAS875EXIIS, PM 67R; T: Eastman 52nd St, Triumpf; B: Nova Bronze
8,213 Posts
I have recorded for a while, but I just recently started recording every practice from start to finish. I feel like I could spend a lifetime fighting embouchure tendencies that push my intonation out of whack. Its been a rough time, but I have been enjoying it more and more as I progress.

· Registered
228 Posts
Well I started video recording some practice sessions and it's humbling to say the least. I have all sorts of suggestions for myself. It's just amazing that I not able to hear the annoying thing I do while I'm actually playing. The brain is elsewhere. One really weird item is that I play nearly every long note at the end of a phrase flat. So bizzare. It's like a vibrato that only goes down. Why don't I hear that when I'm playing - well I hear it now.
Tony, you have to be the most humble member of SOTW. Your playing is out of sight. I could listen to you play all day long. Even Coltrane played out of tune, then there's others like Jackie McLean who really had issues with intonation. But I get it...…...listening to ourselves can be enlightening. Just don't obsess over it because your playing is absolutely wonderful.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
9,426 Posts
It is without a doubt the fastest and most reliable way to improve in a hurry. I prefer recording performances because you get more information - was I loud enough, was I in tune, was I in time, etc. I think we all hate to hear ourselves, but its a dose of medicine that will make you better. Whats really cool is when you hear what you think is some pretty good sax only to find out that its you and you didn't know anyone was recording. I was at a club gig one night in that wonderful and crazy time after set-up and sound check when everybody is eating pizza, drinking a cold one and telling tales. There's music playing and suddenly I'm hearing a version of Eddie Floyd's 'Never Found A Girl', a song we did, and it sounded like two tenors doing the background horn stuff. I said 'Damn! I like that! Somebody said 'You should, you did it'. Could have knocked me over. I was using my harmonizer and it sounded great. The solo was wimpy and because of hearing that, the next time we played it and thereafter, I made sure to not 'phone it in'.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
29,094 Posts
These days you gotta have a sort of thick skin when it comes to hearing yourself recorded. And I don't mean taping yourself at home. I mean on a gig where nearly half the crowd is going to take out their phone and record at least some portion of what you do. Then they post it, whether you like it or not; warts and all.

Actually... I think it's rather cool. You play a gig and you hope it went well... then you see your band's facebook page the next day and it's all there. I play with a funk band from time to time and for our first gig we played this underground club/party and it was a real cool vibe. Then I find out the entire set was recorded and streamed on facebook (the link to it is the last one at the bottom of my signature). Though my mic receiver wasn't plugged in until the second half of the set, I could get a good listen to what I was doing wrong (like overusing bad altissimo) and what I could make better for future gigs (like not overusing bad altissimo). All in all most helpful.

There is so much out there now... like endless. Whenever you gig.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.