Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you Buescher aficionados, Stanley T had high praise for his first horn, a 1936 (series one) Buescher Aristocrat tenor. "That was the greatest horn!" Check it out at 22:00 on this clip; the rest of the clip is well worth watching, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIciIoULoeY

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
I’m playing with his guitarist in that video Dave in a couple of weeks with his organ trio. Great player in the tradition.

·
Registered
171 Posts
For you Buescher aficionados, Stanley T had high praise for his first horn, a 1936 (series one) Buescher Aristocrat tenor. "That was the greatest horn!" Check it out at 22:00 on this clip; the rest of the clip is well worth watching, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIciIoULoeY
That was great; thanks for posting that.

Of course, after he talks about the Buescher, he says "But the horn isn't that important; it's what you put into the horn that makes the individual." ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the video JL. I've been saying it on here for a while that my 1936 Buescher Aristocrat tenor is the BEST sounding horn I've ever played and I've owned and sold a bunch of great tenors including SBA's, Super 20 Full Pearls, Mark VI's, Reference 54, Series III, Yamaha 875EX's to name a few. There is something magical to the tone that nothing else has quite gotten. The Buescher does have the largest bore of the neck tenon out of every tenor I've compared it to, so maybe that has something to do with it. My SBA is still my #1 horn because it plays so much better than my 'Crat, but the Aristocrat does sound better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,213 Posts
Well setup series I are great tenors, as are 156s.
Wonder if Stanley T has played a Big B / 156?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well setup series I are great tenors, as are 156s.
Wonder if Stanley T has played a Big B / 156?
I have one of each (series one & 156) and both are great tenors; I really can't decide which one I prefer.

From that video clip, I got the impression the series one 'Crat was the only Buescher Stanley played. He traded it away and said he always regretted doing so. But he didn't say anything about playing another one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts