Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who may not have listened to this chap, I highly recommend him. This guy (IMHO) is the best sounding tenor ever!

I know, I'm a crazy? Maybe. Maybe its a faze:mrgreen: Dunno, we'll see. But if there was only one guy I could listen to it would be him.

I've heard him on satellite radio a few times, and I was always like, 'Who is this guy, he sounds great" while hitting the info button.

Blue Note Stanley Turrentine Quintett is an excellent collection, excellent sound quality and piece selection from the 60's jazz scene. Excellent trumpeter on several tracks too.

I'd put him in the mold of Cannonball on Tenor stylistically. Not really into supertones, complicated riffs, just strong blown'. Maybe Hank Mobley is a better comparison style wise since Cannonball was so unique, but a stronger blower IMO than Mobley.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'd put him in the mold of Cannonball on Tenor stylistically. Not really into supertones, complicated riffs, just strong blown'. Maybe Hank Mobley is a better comparison style wise since Cannonball was so unique, but a stronger blower IMO than Mobley.
Stanley Turrentine is fantastic, one of the best. I really like his recordings with Jimmy Smith on organ, very groovy stuff. Interesting comparison with Mobley, both are wonderful tenor players. However, as much as I agree Turrentine has very fat tenor tone and very groovy playing, I don't think he beats Mobley in terms of creativity and constant delivery of perfectly logical and melodic solo lines. Anyway, both are unique players, thanks for the youtube clip.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,019 Posts
For those of you who may not have listened to this chap, I highly recommend him. This guy (IMHO) is the best sounding tenor ever!

I know, I'm a crazy?
I simply can't imagine having NOT listened to Turrentine. I saw him live on many occasions. And no, you're not crazy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
I own about 5-6 of his albums. Great stuff, one of my favorite players.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts

I know, I'm a crazy?
Nah, just late to the party.

I have often professed that I could comfortably sell my (hundereds) of CDs and keep only Turrentine recordings to listen to for the rest of my days.

Even my kids request Turrentine for car rides and bed time music. My kids are cooler than I ever was...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
I'm a total fan too. More than 20 albums on my iPhone. I never heard him live. A pity.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Fabulous tenor! To me, old school and modern - hard to explain but he brings best of both worlds to the tenor in his sound and lines. I love the way he phrases.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Turrentine is one great player with a very distinctive way of playing and pharsing. I like the way he can be so bluesy and gritty, but also throw down great bop based stuff too. The whole package.

For me, he really connects on an emotional level, with that great larger than life sound. Such command and authority...first time you hear him it's powerful.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Fabulous tenor! To me, old school and modern - hard to explain but he brings best of both worlds to the tenor in his sound and lines. I love the way he phrases.
So true ! With him, emotion is back in the center. He speaks, he sings. Straight to our souls.

·
Administrator
17,287 Posts

I know, I'm a crazy? Maybe. Maybe its a faze:mrgreen: Dunno, we'll see. But if there was only one guy I could listen to it would be him.

I've heard him on satellite radio a few times, and I was always like, 'Who is this guy, he sounds great" while hitting the info button.

Blue Note Stanley Turrentine Quintett is an excellent collection, excellent sound quality and piece selection from the 60's jazz scene. Excellent trumpeter on several tracks too.

Have seen him about 4-5 times, indeed a fantastic player. Stylistically he comes from the old school tenors, Arnett Cobb is mentioned as one of his examples. Check this thread here on SOTW if you want to hear more great guys you maybe didn't hear before:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?164921-Why-don-t-tenors-sound-like-this-anymore

·
Registered
147 Posts
Can't go wrong with Mr. T. Just remember not to mess with him.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Agreed with all, Turrentine was sooooooooooo groovy, such a sound, irresistible in every way. I'm sure many commenting here know this one, but if not (and for those that may not), have a listen to this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9O4a-2D3Vk&feature=related

What a band! Stanley grooving over the shuffle/vamp, what a treat. Shirley Scott is my all-time fav hammond player and she always used a bass in her bands and/or recordings (as far as I know), interesting! I've had many students transcribe this and come away utterly mesmerized by all it has to offer.

Thanks for the thread and the posts, the links, no player like him, I'm with Dr. G, I could lose all my recordings as long as I had 'Mr. T'!

cheers, DC

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,391 Posts
One my all time favorites,,
I have his transcription book & it has helped me to learn afew of his tunes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Agreed with all, Turrentine was sooooooooooo groovy, such a sound, irresistible in every way. I'm sure many commenting here know this one, but if not (and for those that may not), have a listen to this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9O4a-2D3Vk&feature=related

What a band! Stanley grooving over the shuffle/vamp, what a treat. Shirley Scott is my all-time fav hammond player and she always used a bass in her bands and/or recordings (as far as I know), interesting! I've had many students transcribe this and come away utterly mesmerized by all it has to offer.

Thanks for the thread and the posts, the links, no player like him, I'm with Dr. G, I could lose all my recordings as long as I had 'Mr. T'!

cheers, DC
Love this clip!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts