Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Stanford Jazz has a Monday Night Jam every monday while classes are in session, in the University coffeehouse...aka the Tresidder COHO. During the summer, that continues but the Stanford Jazz Camp takes over. During "dead week" the student performance small ensembles play for their "final exams". Anyway, I'm a regular. I'm by far the oldest person there, most of the participants are Stanford students or right about that age. It starts at 8:00 PM.

So two weeks ago I walk into the COHO and dear lord the place is packed. The "house band" is made up of people I don't recognize and my usual gang is lined up in the back, talking to themselves. I wander back there....the students will talk to me if I initiate, but it's clear that I'm the "outsider"...anyway I asked around, what the heck? AnSwer....Joshua Redman was supposed to show up that night.

WHAT?

Sure enough, 20 minutes later Joshua Redman walks through the door. Three tunes later, he's on the bandstand. Now, I've never heard Joshua Redman, live, before. The thing that struck me, along with wonderful technique, is that he has a very large array of tonal colors available to him. It was impressive. So I sat for almost two hours about twenty feet away from Joshua Redman and had the best time; Best seat in the house at a free concert. A seat like that at San Francisco Jazz would cost $80 - $100 easy.

I didn't get out my axe to play with him. I had those opportunities when I was a kid...with Richie Cole and Lew Tabackin. I let the Stanford kids have their fun, but seriously....Joshua Redman came to the Uni Jam Session. How fun is that?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I remember that venue well. Graduated in 79. No cool shows like that that I can recall, though we did have some good concerts on campus back then.

I saw Joshua Redman at the Catalina Club in L.A. a half dozen or so years ago. The OP’s description of his playing matched my experience as well. And because we bought dinner, we had seats about 10 feet away. I don’t recall the price but it was well worth it.

And I got a chance to chat briefly with him between sets. He seemed to be an extremely nice, engaging person.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts