Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*sigh* I was having issues holding my alto sax while sitting... playing notes such as middle C# made my sax wobble around and on the advice of my teacher was told to lean forward more and use my right thigh to lean it against... problem solved until the other day when i decided to practise standing (after all, my goal is to be able to play in a band not an orchestra lol)

So some advice is needed. Firstly, should I straighten out my mouthpiece and hold the sax in front or keep it angled and on the side... I've been sort of bending forward and resting the bottom of the bell on my hip but it makes diaphragm breathing alittle more difficult.

So I started youtubing and one sax player that jumps out is mindi abair... how on earth does she hold her sax so steady way out there? :(

·
Registered
400 Posts
It's not so difficult with a properly adjusted strap and pressing away from your body with your thumbs on the rests combined with the pressure of your top teeth on the mouthpiece creates a pretty stable playing position. The key is the strap length and pressing out with your thumbs, don't try to lift the sax by the lower hook, just press out using the strap as a fulcrum and varying the pressure of your top and bottom thumbs to guide the mouthpiece into your mouth. The strap length should be such that the mouthpiece goes straight into your mouth as you relax the pressure on the upper thumb rest and push out on the lower. Then lightly rest your top teeth on the top of the mouthpiece as if you were resting the weight of your head on the mouthpiece. (a mouthpiece patch makes this a more firm contact point, I found my teeth sliding around without the patch) Keep your wrists stable with even pressure on your thumbs and just use your fingers to press the keys.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I let the strap take all of the weight, and find a natural position for the sax against my body.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Another thing to try... you can close a finger or two (or even three) on your right hand and still have C# and stabilize things at the same time. On some equipment, that even improves the sound of that C#. ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hmmm, I always thought the only issue with standing would be to decide whether to hold the sax in the front of you straight or give it some angle to your side... The same goes for sitting.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Personally, I play all my saxes in front; even sitting. Alto or Tenor makes no difference I play them in front. It takes some time but you will get comfortable with it.

When I played bari I played that out fron standing, of course I couldn't do that sitting, but I didn't sit that much with bari.

I also usually use a stool to sit instead of a regular chair. The extra height and no back help me to keep a better posture and breathe properly. Regular chairs feel too low to play sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,189 Posts
So I started youtubing and one sax player that jumps out is mindi abair... how on earth does she hold her sax so steady way out there? :(
It's much easier to hold the sax straight out when you're standing. You can also move it to the side, and back and forth, just like Mindi does in the utube vids I looked at. The secret, like others have said, is to push out on the strap and use it as the fulcrum to hold the horn steady while you turn and move it with pressure from your thumbs. Let the sax hang on the strap with the strap carrying the weight, push the sax out with your right thumb under the hook, and steady it vertically with your left thumb on the octave key. The more you play like this, the more comfortable you'll get with it and it will become natural -- the horn becomes one with your body, just like Mindi plays it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts