Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, sorry if this has been discussed before (a quick search didn't find anything though). I've heard that it's better to practise [that's how we spell the verb in 'British' English!] standing up, as playing sitting down can have an adverse effect on breathing technique. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Aardvark said:
Hi, sorry if this has been discussed before (a quick search didn't find anything though). I've heard that it's better to practise [that's how we spell the verb in 'British' English!] standing up, as playing sitting down can have an adverse effect on breathing technique. Any thoughts?
It depends on your goal. I feel that it is easier to get better air production when standing, but if you need to play a lot while sitting you should practicing getting that same air production while sitting. Stand first and then sit while bending only at the waist. Try to keep you entire upper body exactly as it was when you were standing and then do some breathing and long tone exercises and try to make it feel that same.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
As a general rule I'd suggest practicing in the same position that you'll be playing in. When I first learned the guitar I learned it sitting down, and when I started playing in a rock band I had to relearn everything standing up :) so I always practice the sax standing up because I'm not aiming to join a big band or orchestra so I'll always play standing up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. I tend to practise either standing or leaning against a tall stool, so I'm half standing. I also play guitar and usually practise sitting down, but I learned classical guitar (after a fashion!) before electric, and that's always playing sitting. However, I'm only a 'spare bedroom musician' so I don't need to worry about different positions between practice and performance. [Yes, we spell the noun 'practice' that way - it helps to make English harder for other people to learn!]

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I would suggest practicing both ways since different performance venues require one or the other. I don't agree that sitting with excellent posture has any adverse effect on breathing or blowing if one does these things correctly.

John

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Do both.

If you want a laugh, watch someone who's always played sitting down, play standing up for the first time. :)

If you're an Alto player who plays with the horn resting against your right side, the first time you play standing up, you'll probably find the horn jumping all over the place. The good news is, that you soon learn to relax and as soon as you stop "trying" to hold the horn still, the horn stops trying to jump all over the place. You see a lot of school kids almost bending double the first time they play standing up.I think it's perhaps an unconscious attempt to return the horn to the stable position against the right hip. It's physically impossible, but it doesn't stop the kids from trying. :D

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Dog Pants said:
If you want a laugh, watch someone who's always played sitting down, play standing up for the first time. :)
I play both alto and tenor between my legs while sitting. It just feels more comfortable for me. I don't see any adverse effects when I stand and play.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I practise standing up and I perform standing up. Well, depends what I'm performing! :yikes!:

Now I've joined a concert band, I'm sitting down, which is something I rarely do. When I do play standing up I'm often dancing around and really getting into it, so maybe it's a good thing concert bands sit down!

How do you make a band stand?
Take away their chairs!
(the old ones are always the best) :smilebox:

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
fballatore said:
I play both alto and tenor between my legs while sitting. It just feels more comfortable for me. I don't see any adverse effects when I stand and play.
So do I Frank, but just watch a player who plays off the hip the first couple of times they try standing up. I guarantee you'll see them try to get the horn settled in the accustomed position against the right hip.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,217 Posts
I practise sitting, standing, pacing, walking around. I put the alto and tenor both between my legs, and off to the right side.

I just can't make up my mind.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,925 Posts
hakukani said:
I practise sitting, standing, pacing, walking around. I put the alto and tenor both between my legs, and off to the right side.

I just can't make up my mind.
Hmmm, there must be a reason behind this. Care to share?:D

I practice saxophone while sitting, standing, pacing, and walking around too. Generally with the mouthpiece in the general area of my mouth.:twisted:

I do most of my performing sitting down. My practice time is 30% seated in front of a stand, 30% standing in front/near a music stand, 20% walking aimlessly while shedding difficult passages, 15% long tones (eyes closed, usually standing in one spot), 3% playing with a reference pitch, 1% reading and not playing, and 1% tuning the horn (which takes place during long tones).

·
SOTW Administrator
26,217 Posts
Two players meet outside their respective practice rooms.

One brags, 'Man, I've been practising the Star Spangled Banner for three hours!'

The other replies, 'That's nothing, I've been practising the Stars and Stripes Forever!'

(The old ones ARE the best) heehee;)

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Sit down?! Have you all gone soft? I'm only sitting down if it's a proper "vintage " saxophone chair.;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts