Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get my first Soprano. What would you guys recommend as a good starting point for a soprano mouthpiece? Something well made, reasonably priced (around 200 dollars), versatile, with good intonation etc. Just a solid mouthpiece which is a great choice as a first mouthpiece but could equally be your last mpc too (wishful thinking maybe!)

For tenor saxophone we'd be talking about a HR link, Vandoren V16, D'addario Jazz select, Jody Jazz HR* or a STM in 7 or 7* tip opening. I guess for alto the equivalent would be a Meyer 6. What are soprano equivalents?!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Just wanted to say thanks all for the mpc recommendations.

I got to a local sax shop and tried a few pieces; S80 C** and E (they didn't have a D), V16, otto link, Jodyjazz HR*, Selmer Super Session, Selmer Concept and a Barri piece.

For me (possibly because the link and v16 were a bit too open). The three clear winners were the S80 E, Super Session and JodyJazz HR* 6. The Jodyjazz was a noticably louder, a touch brighter and bigger sounding, whilst the S80 E was more focussed and centered, easier to play and had a slightly sweeter sound. The super Session was somewhere in between.

I ended up going for the S80 E, partly because it was a little cheaper. But I really couldn't decide between that and the JodyJazz, I haven't developed my sopano sound concept so I liked both and didn't really know which direction to go in. I figure the S80 will be a good starting point and if I find I need something louder, more spread but retaining body...I'll get the Jodyjazz HR*

Thanks again!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts