Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I really like the Selmer Concept, but based on the discussions on this thread I just purchased a used S80 D and a used S80 E. The one thing I've found about the Concept is that I have to really/significantly back off from my normal air stream (for example, what I use when I play the Open Sky 2) or else the notes start warbling (particularly true from G1 and down the register on my Yany SCWO20). I'm curious to see if the bigger tip openings will address that.

Having said that, as Dave noted, the Concept plays a lot bigger than its tip opening would suggest.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
This thread is becoming what all mouthpiece threads become - a popularity contest. There are a lot of soprano mouthpieces out there that any one of us favor, but many of them are not "standard, default" soprano mouthpieces. I'll repeat what I posted earlier in this thread - mouthpiece selection comes down as, for those who are asking what to buy, there is no other way to make a selection than by going out there and testing them all. That's what I did (and still do) and I have a shoe box filled with soprano mouthpieces to prove it. I don't regret it, though - I enjoy re-visiting them from time to time.

As far as "standard-default" goes, that would be the Yamaha 4c and the Selmer S-80 C* (and obviously the Yanagisawa 5, which is included with all new Yanagisawa sopranos). All of the others - the high-end Selmers and Selmers bigger than C*, Morgans, Phil-Tones, SopranoPlanet, and STM Links, etc. (all of which I have), they are all good. What matters is how you, the player like them - and that may not be consistently positive across all of them.

For jman's problem with the Concept . . . my experience with it shows that the individual reed I'm using at the time is critical to how well it plays. I just went through that within the last few days. I'd been using a Legere 2 on it and when I put on a cane reed, my results changed. So I dug out another reed and immediately the Concept took on a new strength and depth of tone missing with the Legere and the other cane reed I was using.

But my horn (a five-digit MKVI) played well, top to bottom with my Concept. My Concept is very much like my S-80 D - i switch back and forth between the two and can hardly tell the difference. If I had to decide on one, I'd pick the Concept - maybe just a tad smoother in response, top to bottom. DAVE
I remembered that I had a bunch of Legere Signature 2.5's that I hadn't really been using because they felt too stiff on my Open Sky 2. The strength chart indicates that a Signature 2.5 is equivalent to a 3 on Vandorens and 3.5 on Rico cane reeds. I foolishly bought them without checking the chart because I use 2.5's on the alto and tenor... for some reason, it turns out sopranos are on a different strength level compared to altos and tenors.

Anyway, I took one out last night and put it on the Selmer Concept. No more warbles and I can play all the way to F#3 (regular, not with the F# key) with no issues (haven't tried to play any higher than that. I had tried different reeds on the Concept before (Rigotti 3S, RW 2.5H, BSS 2.5, Marca 2.5) and still got the warbles. Now I have Marca 3's on the way and I'm thinking of getting 3's/3.5's of the BSS and RW to see if I can replicate what I got with the Signature.

Still curious to see how the S-80 D and E that I have on the way play for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts