1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I'm having a hard time deciding between the
K&M Standard Alto stand
(http://www.wwbw.com/K-M-Alto-Tenor-Saxophone-Stand-450282-i1141970.wwbw)
Hercules Alto stand
(http://www.wwbw.com/Hercules-Stands-Alto-Tenor-Sax-Stand-with-Bag-H14014-i1551931.wwbw)

Portability doesn't really matter to me. I'm just concerned with the safety of my horn. I thought about getting the saxxy stand but it seems too expensive. I'd rather get a more stable and cheap stand that's not portable.

They don't sell stands in my place so I need to make sure the brand's quality control is good cause I can't really return it... Your opinions would be highly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
If portability is not an issue, than I would go for the K&M. They have a bigger floor foot print and is very stable.

I really like how flat Hercules stands go. When I travel I use the Hercules, but when I am at home I use a K&M.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Portability or no,.... the Hercules is a pretty solid stand.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies. But I'm still not that sure what to buy. So many mixed opinions.
I would appreciate it if you put why you choose Hercules or K & M. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I have a SAXXY stand for alto. I don't use it. I do have one of those flat Rovner collapsible stands and that's what I use (with screw-in clarinet and soprano pegs).

The reason I don't use the SAXXY is because 1) my horn fell off of it one evening on a crowded stage (yes, it was properly seated but someone accidentally bumped it); 2) the little rubber ends where the bell rests stick to the bell so when I pick up the horn, the whole stand comes up off the floor with the horn. To avoid this, I must use two hands to pick up the horn or risk the stand eventually dropping off onto what ever may be below it. DAVE

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had the K&M stand for my alto for about four years. It's been used on plenty of gigs, and has also had the horn on it overnight many times - never fallen off.

The rubber that's in contact with the horn is nice and grippy - it's pretty secure, even with a hefty bump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts