Sax on the Web Forum banner

Stan Getz Born To Be Blue 2

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  LateNiteSax 
#1 ·
Here is my latest little Youtube project. A stunningly fluid performance, and sheer genius playing by the Master, and one you may not have hear before as it is somewhat rare. I cant count how many hundreds of times I've listened to this track. The tonality is questionable. Check it out.

#6 ·
I am transcribing and learning this Stan Getz solo. I am also obsessed with transposing the first 6-8 bars of this solo into a variety of keys. It contains an wicked combination of pentatonics and tritone sub line, with the chromatic half step up and down. Its a BEAST to train the mind to hear this extremely harmonically dense line in different keys. This last task is heavy lifting for even the most gifted among us. The rewards are epic.

#10 ·
Yes! His playing is so subtle and gorgeous, and the bebop line he wrote over the changes is brilliant.

Eddie Who???? Eddie Harris? Eddie Lockjaw Davis? Eddie Murphy? Eddie Money? Eddie Cleanhead Vinson? Sorry but you stepped right into that one.
Eddie does the tune in Bb FWIW
after much handwringing and close study, I am certain that he is playing this in concert A, trust me he goes down to low B on the horn. His left hand pinky rollers were working well. Even though the track is a bit out of tune in terms of speed of playback/tape speed, based on the way he plays and certain key notes I can say this with certainty.
+1
Sounds like a low pitched concert Bb to me for tonality.
Listen to the diatonic 16th run down to the low end of the horn in 2:13. Getz goes down to low C on his horn for what I hear.
I'm not sure if he would have played that line in concert A, going down to low B on tenor. It was no problem for him for sure, but it still sounds like concert Bb to me.

#9 ·
Eddie does the tune in Bb FWIW
+1

Sounds like a low pitched concert Bb to me for tonality.
Listen to the diatonic 16th run down to the low end of the horn in 2:13. Getz goes down to low C on his horn for what I hear.
I'm not sure if he would have played that line in concert A, going down to low B on tenor. It was no problem for him for sure, but it still sounds like concert Bb to me.

#15 ·
Thanks for sharing. I've never heard this recording and also appreciate you posting the transcription. Nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.