Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, hope I'm posting this in the CORRECT forum, lol.

What does anyone know about this particular soprano ? Can't seem to find any independent reviews etc online, and have a student who is about to buy one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I know nothing about this brand. Why then would I post about your question? I'm thinking that unless you stick to the more expensive and well-known brands like Selmer, Yanagisawa, Yamaha, Rampone (forgive me if I left a favorite out), you are most likely going to end up with saxophone made in Taiwan, mainland China, or wherever the inexpensive house-brands go to buy saxophones by the lot. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but with sopranos, it could be discouraging for a soprano-beginner.

In my view, the trick is to know the reputation of the company/person who contracts with inexpensive makers for a dozen-gross with their store name on them (or whatever, I'm sure you get my drift).

For instance, I know Dave Kessler's (in Las Vegas - a site sponsor) reputation and I would trust his operation to make his contract with a maker who will meet his demands for quality and features. I bought a Kessler alto for my grandson and he is still playing it. Good horn, especially for the price.

Another Taiwanese brand is Antigua. They have a fine reputation - I own one of their sopranos and it plays. I've also played Unison and Jupiter and Cannonball and P. Mauriat and have been satisfied that they will play. I guess my point is that you need to be careful when trying to buy on-the-cheap. I've done that before with new sopranos and have been disappointed in their quality. DAVE

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
For instance, I know Dave Kessler's (in Las Vegas - a site sponsor) reputation and I would trust his operation to make his contract with a maker who will meet his demands for quality and features. I bought a Kessler alto for my grandson and he is still playing it. Good horn, especially for the price.
I agree. This mystery brand might be ok, but I wouldn't bet on it. If I were a dabbler, and simply can't afford or justify the more than $1k it costs to get one of the more solid/reputable Taiwan import brand sopranos, then I too would get a Kessler for $499. He sets them up before shipping too, which could save your student from spending anywhere up to $100 to get the instrument in top mechanical condition. This is in fact what I recommended to a local acquaintance who is an African drummer (in both senses of the word) who wants to get into soprano sax, but doesn't have a lot of dough.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
Stagg is a Belgian company. Their instruments a manufactured in China.

I haven't tried them myself, but they are apparently fairly decent.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Never tried their saxophones, but I have come across some other instruments by Stag. They're definitely at the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Take a look at several recent threads re cheap soprano's, also take a look at Stephen Howard's site for review of several ultra-cheap Chinese horns of good quality. I just bought a Venus and would have no problem recommending it, but there are also plenty of others that other people give good reviews to.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Me and my lessons teacher were just talking about cheap soprano sax's this morning. He said someone came in with a Stagg saxophone and he said it was a decent horn.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
Run away as fast as you can to Kessler for a decent inexpensive $499 soprano. Stagg is not a recommended purchase. B

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I got a MINT condition, "used" Antigua Winds soprano, and the Yanigasaw type bore and quality manufacture make this an absolute delight to play! Came with a strange "stubby" plastic mouthpiece, but that'll go and be replaced! Intonation on this horn is amazing, and the keys quiet and very responsive. As another poster noted, Dave Kessler was right in reccommneding this horn to me! This man is VERY honest, and actually steered me away from his own "Kessler" sops, feeling the Yani type bore on the Antigua was much more suited to the style of jazz I play! Would trust Dave Kesslers opinion 100%!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I realize this is a really old thread, but I just wanted to put it out there in case anyone runs across one of these that it is definitely more of a saxophone shaped object than a playable horn. Found one locally and was into checking it out despite bad reviews because the price was quite cheap, but actually it would have been vastly too expensive at any price. Flimsy keywork all over the place- I had to bend four keys back into place and reinsert and tighten a couple loose (like falling out of the keytubes loose) rod screws just to playtest the thing. Tone might have been OK actually if it hadn't been leaking pretty badly for playing anything below a G but the intonation of the horn was so wildly off even with itself that I didn't even bother getting out my tuner. Just politely thanked the seller for their time and moved on. I'm really not a brand snob. I have a couple excellent Taiwanese horns keeping company with my vintage and modern French, American and Japanese horns and have played some Chinese student horns that were surprisingly good, but apparently Stagg horns are not in that number.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts