Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where best to post this, but I'd like to know if anyone can advise on some very basic lighting in order for our (black) singer to be reasonably visible in front of my jazz orchestra (17-piece) when playing in a fairly dimly lit room. It won't be too dark as there is a dinner before our performance and of course the diners need to see what they're eating. However, it may look rather clumsy if the singer is barely visible.

Or maybe there is a suitable web forum someone could point me towards?

Owing to the space constraints we can't really put much forward of the band other than the singer and her monitor speaker and microphone stand. There's no facility for overhead stage lights, nor room to the side of the band as we will be playing in a triangular formation in a corner.

Will it be possible to light the singer with two low-level floor-mounted lamps? Obviously if you use a single spot at floor level immediately in front of a performer you get a horrible Frankenstein appearance. But perhaps with two floor lamps, one at each side in front of her, there might be a sufficient wash of light without ugly shadowing?

Has anybody got experience of this?

Michael

http://www.harmonyinharlem.co.uk/

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,905 Posts
But perhaps with two floor lamps, one at each side in front of her, there might be a sufficient wash of light without ugly shadowing?
I don't think that's likely to be a vast improvement on a single floor light. But if the lighting is dim, how is the band itself lit? Or is the implicatioin that it's not important to see the band, but only the singer?

I think a start would be to suggest she wears something bright, also maybe a flower or bright hat. Can you get spotlights at the back of the room?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Your best bet would be a follow spot. If that's out try a couple white lights hung from the ceiling out from the singer giving a limited movement area (get some Matthews grip equipment, your tech should all about Matthews). Whatever you do never put a green gel on a black person!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think that's likely to be a vast improvement on a single floor light. But if the lighting is dim, how is the band itself lit? Or is the implicatioin that it's not important to see the band, but only the singer?

I think a start would be to suggest she wears something bright, also maybe a flower or bright hat. Can you get spotlights at the back of the room?
I'm not too concerned about lighting the band as a whole as I don't think this is as critical as lighting the singer - especially her face - when she's out front. We have music stand lights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If7vgNXz5B8 shows the set-up in action) for lighting the music. Stands and lights all made by me.

It might be possible to get a spotlight at the back of the room although it would be shining over the heads of the diners - we are playing at floor level (in a corner triangle formation) in a suite that is only just big enough.

Someone else has suggested trying to light her from the sides by hiring a boom/stand and profile lantern which can be placed alongside the PA speakers at sides of the band. A modest wash from the side would mitigate the effects of uplighting from immediately in front of her. The critical this is that we really can't have anything extending the footprint of the band forward of the front line and singer. The venue simply isn't big enough.

I'm really tempted to try to get some second-hand lighting equipment even though we don't get enough gigs to justify it.

Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts