Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. So I'm sorry if this is covered somewhere but the search yielded nothing. I have picked up tenor sax in the last few days. I am a travelling musician and am in Thailand now and about to go to China so I don't think I will have a chance to find a teacher until I get home next year. I have theory knowledge and I have just spent a year on trumpet, so I am hoping some of the air support and relaxation stuff will carry over. I have been playing flute to get me used to the fingerings (before I could find a sax.) Which was great cause I could play around a bit on the tenor. So I love the sax and want to begin my work right away. I am aware of the dangerous time with regards to bad habits. If you guys could provide me with a list of habits that I have to avoid then I would be eternally grateful. From what I have read, I need to be practicing long tones at varying dynamics, tonguing, with metronome (and drone for intonation) scales, and some repertoire. Is there anything else that I am missing. Any directions to suitable beginner repertoire that isnt painfully boring would be great. I love jazz, soul, classical and just about anything interesting. I thank you so much for reading this and I hope to hear from you!

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you are in Bangkok you should check out Koh (Mr Saxman) and his buddies at Sax Society, Si Lom, Silom, Bang Rak, Bangkok 10500. They could be of assistance to you I'm sure. If Koh is at home, his band sometimes plays on Monday nights at the Saxophone Pub, 3/8 Phayathai Rd., Victory Monument, Bangkok, 10400. It's worth checking out. He is a very cool and approachable guy. Enjoy the Land of Smiles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information! I was looking for a hardcase all day yesterday. Turns out they have them over there! I am leaving tomorrow though :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Jay. I've watched every vid I could find at this stage and read for months before I got the horn. I came from trumpet which was a minefield for "bad" habits. So I thought there might be the same thing with other winds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts