Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Here's a recording of me playing St. Thomas with Sonny Rollins :) I transcribed his solo with my teacher, and i decided to give it a run with the actual recording. This is a new mouthpiece, so I'm not quite used to the sound yet. Here it is!

http://soundcloud.com/brandon-tse/st-thomas-sonny-rollins-solo-1

Oh yeah, and I'm no professional! I'm only in 8th grade, so don't expect too much ;)

Let me know how you like it!

Brandon

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,447 Posts
Very well played Brandon :). It sounds good to me, but it's difficult to say anything about your own sound because of the mix with Sonny. If you want specific comments on your sound you can better record this tune with a backing track without other horn.

Keep up the good stuff: working on this kind of examples will only make you better and better :).

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
Great job! You're really locked in with Sonny. Rhythmically, it's really good!
I agree with mrpeebee on the recording issue: try to use a backing track (for example, a Jamie Aebersold play-along) and play it without another sax in the background.
Keep at it. You seem to have all that is needed to become a great saxophonist.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice job man, that's not an easy task. It's a great tune and Rollins has such a huge sound, I would play along with this every day at least once and try to really fit into his sound, it really helps build a solid tone.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the compliments everyone! Especially since you guys sound so great yourselves! I'll try to look for a good backing track today or tomorrow.

Brandon

·
Registered
323 Posts
8th grade...very nice. I wish I had done this when I was your age. It really helps develop the ear and feel in ways that words will never communicate. It's MUSIC, and it takes music to teach music in some cases. I really hope you dig playing along with Sonny!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Sounding great and great taste in music too...love your ambition nice job getting the feel and spirit of it too!!!

Those early Sonny Rollins dates like Collossus, Plays for Bird, and Plus 4 w Clifford Brown...doesnt get any better than that as far as bebop tenor. I listen to anything and everything, but come back to those early Rollins dates a lot...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts