Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I think I´ve found the answer to the bari mouthpiece question I´ve been asking for too long: SR Technolgies - they only make one bari mouthpiece and I think it´s brilliant - just the right amount of edge, just the right amount of warmth - and very free-blowing.

Been through Link metal, Lawton metal, Meyer Ebonite, Jody Classic, Lebayle Ebonite -and those are the ones I can remember over the past 15 years.

Of course, your mileage will vary - but don´t overlook SR when GAS strikes.

R

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
What was the Lawton?
How does it compare to the edge, warmth and free blowing characteristics of the SRT that you describe?

The reason I ask, is that I have a metal Lawton 7*BB (don't shoot me anybody!) that is crackley and exciting but not much of an all rounder with my chops. So I may trade later on.

I was kinda thinking RPC 115B if there is such a Bari beast? or chucking Phil B an Otto Link Blank and some dosh.
Intention is, to have a bigger core with more vesatility and I haven't ruled out the SRT.

Saxlicker

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I remember - it was a Lawton 6*B

...but this was at least 10 years ago when I was still building bari chops (still am really).

Tried a couple of Lawtons in the past year ( 7s and 8s - can´t remember the chambers) and found them stuffy - but you never know what effect different types of reed will have. The solution I found a year ago was the Brancher B29 metal moutpiece which is very free blowing and bright, but ultimately too bright to be an all-rounder. But playing the Brancher for the first time in the shop was a revelation - it made everything else I´d used before sound as if I´d been keeping a sock in the bell!

The SR is a tad warmer and makes a rather more "cultivated" sound than the Brancher, and loses nothing in the free-blowing department.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My level air is giving me the same kind of sounds, I'm pretty happy with it once I found a good lig and reeds for it. As soon as I put on the Rico Royal 2.5 and a good rovner it really opened up. I was happy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
467 Posts
I Agree

I play one of these on bari too. By coincidence, it was the first thing I tried, and I have been playing it ever since. Since that time I've tried out a couple of differnt bari mouthpieces, and I keep coming back to this. I can wail or get pretty mellow.

Scott

·
Registered
247 Posts
Amen... to SR Tech bari

I give another thumbs up for the SR Tech bari. I have been playing on one for about 4 years. I occaisionally have switched to an RPC, but, like the overall tone of the RPC better. I don't know how to put it but it has a little "whine" to it in the upper register that I like.

I wanted to play a Lawton for years (just like the way they look, you know with the neat ligature thing) but could never find one to give me the sound I like. The Lawtons were louder and brighter particularly the B chamber, but I like the core sound of the SR.

xraydog

·
Registered
177 Posts
The SR Tech bari mp was designed based on Jim Germann's bari mp. Take a listen to him and then you'll know why it's an awesome piece. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts