Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I got a question for you guys.

I recently got an SR Technologies mouthpiece, and man, it's the most killin mouthpiece I've ever played on.

It's made out of polycarbonate resin, which is similar to the material that they use in bullet-proof windows and such.

So my question is, do I have to worry about this mouthpiece warping or "melting" if this mouthpiece is outside for a period of time? I live in Florida, where the temperature can get quite hot and humid, and would like to avoid any catastrophes with this mouthpiece.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
I think the material is more stable than hard rubber. If you want insurance, get a back up mouthpiece.
Wise words there! But, I would suggest a backup from a different material from your main piece, so they can't react to weather the same way. We have extreme weather swings here, and two unlike stable materials, has worked out very well for me over the years.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Looks like the melting point for polycarbonates can be close to 230F, not much more than water boils, Average direct sun temps can reach as much as 160F in the Summer in South Florida. Black, with an internal volume like a black body radiator would suggest a mouthpiece would approach the worst case so you'd assume its going to get close to 160F in direct sun, left to soak, no wind, etc. I'd say that's a bit hot for something that has precision surfaces. Especially if its under tension such as compressed on the cork, with a legature clamped on. At this point, I'd also worry about the horn too, leather pads, cork adhesives, pad adhesives, etc, and other instruments too. Probably the worst case, is a gig outside, on stage, uncovered, on a hot day with no breeze, where the sax [or any instrument] sits while you're on a break or playing another instrument. Maybe cover it? Maybe take something to provide some shade?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My SR Tech Legend polycarbonate soprano mouthpiece is dang near indestructible and has remained stable under all playing conditions, including outdoors on hot days. Black-body radiation does not apply: the SR Tech polycarbonate pieces are clear/translucent.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hello all, I got a question for you guys.

I recently got an SR Technologies mouthpiece, and man, it's the most killin mouthpiece I've ever played on.

It's made out of polycarbonate resin, which is similar to the material that they use in bullet-proof windows and such.

So my question is, do I have to worry about this mouthpiece warping or "melting" if this mouthpiece is outside for a period of time? I live in Florida, where the temperature can get quite hot and humid, and would like to avoid any catastrophes with this mouthpiece.

Thanks!
I had quite a lot of contact with Ron Singer from SR Tech when these pieces came out about 10 years or so ago. I agree, the polycarbonate pieces are great and AFAIK you are correct about the basis of the material being the same as that used for bullet-proof glass. Does that melt in the sun? No, but....there may be other elements in there which are softer and more prone to heat. Do send Ron an email, he's a lovely guy and will surely give you the info you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts