Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently going through a crises of perpetual mouthpiece dissatisfaction. anyway, I invested a small fortune in a Jody Jazz DV NY #7 because I liked the tone. But now I'm finding, as many have said on SOTW forum, that this mouthpiece tends to choke up when trying to push it to a certain volume level. It doesn't work well for me even in medium-sized venues when playing in a loud rock/fusion setting. I've tried the Guardala MBII and found the tone was just obnoxiously bright in the high register. I think the baffle is just too high on the MBII. Does anyone know how the SR Tech Tenor Fusion .108 would compare to the MBII or Jody Jazz? I'm considering returning the Jody Jazz and using my store credit to purchase the SR Tech. The other option I was considering is the Vandoren V 16 metal. Any thoughts? I'm hoping to stay in about the $300 range. I like the tone of the Jody Jazz, but need more volume available when necessary, and also would prefer something with more resistance.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, I can't stand the Otto Link Super Tone Master or Super Tone Master NY. To me those mouthpieces sounded too old fashioned. I'd use an Otto Link on the rare occasion that I'm going for an old school big band tone, but that is very rare for me. I'm usually playing funky fusion, straight ahead jazz combo gigs and gospel music.

·
Registered
732 Posts
you may wanna look at finding a pre owned sugal kwII. They can be great pieces... Kirk whalum was playing one for a pretty long time as well as euge groove and gerald albright (currently). It's really a craps shoot finding a good one but I have a very good one that I would be interested in possibly parting with if your interested. PM me if you are interested. I play on handmade guardala's and I love this piece just been playing guardalas so long that it's what I'm most comfortable on. They can be some of the best R&B mouthpieces out there and they're not thin sounding, can be played with great edge and volume when really pushed!

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I had a JJ DV ,SR TECH PRO,SR TECH FUSION and a few Brecker II's and a VI6 Metal mp.The fusion plays the darkest from the list for me but still great and loud,free blowing.The sr PRO felt very stuffy to me,a big no no.The DV was great,atad more depth up high than the Brecker 2.The V16 was also very nice.Its a close call between the Fusion,DV and Brecker but for very loud gigs the DV or Brecker win for me.The fusion would be more versitle though,can be used on very soft gigs i found.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
I received both a JJ DV and a Fusion as part of a swap with another member here.
The DV did nothing for me, but the Fusion 115 (with far less publicity) was a very different story. From the moment I tried it, the Fusion has been my No. 1 mouthpiece, exceedingly versatile with a surprisingly thick bottom end for a high baffled piece.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
I received both a JJ DV and a Fusion as part of a swap with another member here.
The DV did nothing for me, but the Fusion 115 (with far less publicity) was a very different story. From the moment I tried it, the Fusion has been my No. 1 mouthpiece, exceedingly versatile with a surprisingly thick bottom end for a high baffled piece.
Yes from me,hope your still having fun on the fusion.

·
6,715 Posts
Yes from me,hope your still having fun on the fusion.
Indeed, The mouthpiece I had from you as a swap....many thanks.
I honestly have no need for any other....it does everything that I require from a mouthpiece; with the added advantage that, because of the exquisite machining, any replacement would be identical.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I would suggest working on playing the DV a little more. There is a tendency to tense up the embouchure when playing high and loud. Some of this is needed but too much will bend the reed towards the tip. This "biting" makes the tip opening smaller and more prone to closing off. The duckbill shape of the DV, and its free blowing facing, may make this tougher to deal with on a DV. But it can be done.

Also consider using a slightly stiffer reed when you have a loud playing situation. If going up 1/2 strength is too stiff, then consider getting a reed trimmer to make the reed a little stiffer.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,470 Posts
I'm currently going through a crises of perpetual mouthpiece dissatisfaction. anyway, I invested a small fortune in a Jody Jazz DV NY #7 because I liked the tone. But now I'm finding, as many have said on SOTW forum, that this mouthpiece tends to choke up when trying to push it to a certain volume level. It doesn't work well for me even in medium-sized venues when playing in a loud rock/fusion setting. I've tried the Guardala MBII and found the tone was just obnoxiously bright in the high register. I think the baffle is just too high on the MBII. Does anyone know how the SR Tech Tenor Fusion .108 would compare to the MBII or Jody Jazz? I'm considering returning the Jody Jazz and using my store credit to purchase the SR Tech. The other option I was considering is the Vandoren V 16 metal. Any thoughts? I'm hoping to stay in about the $300 range. I like the tone of the Jody Jazz, but need more volume available when necessary, and also would prefer something with more resistance.
I can highly recommend Ponzol M1/.110 (brass) for what you are seeking in sound and price. Focused, bright when pushed but not too spread with just a hint of edge and good altissimo.

The Guardala "Studio" I also own is something I can recommend for situations where more extreme volume is required but the Ponzol does well in rock, r&b, soul electric situations but with less edge and more warmth even at loud volumes.

B

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm currently going through a crises of perpetual mouthpiece dissatisfaction. anyway, I invested a small fortune in a Jody Jazz DV NY #7 because I liked the tone.
I'm assuming you're talking Tenor (based on the MBII). You may want to look at a DV CHi. It has the same playability aspects as the other DV's, but you can push it substantially more. It's a very versitile piece. I agree that the DV NY has a great sound, but I wouldn't want to use it on a rock gig. The Chicago has that sound at low volumes and brightens up as you push it (matching the regular DV in terms of brightness).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I tried the DV Chi and actually liked the DV NY better. But like Captain Beeflat, I'm just finding the Jody Jazz isn't really all that. Mauriatboy, I think I'm going to take your advice and get the SR Tech Fusion. The DV seems to be very picky regarding reeds. I also want the versatility you say you get from the SR Fusion. But I'm also considering a Beechler. But I wonder, why is it you don't hear about many tenor players using Beechler Bellite mouthpieces? I just love my Beechler Bellite #7 on my alto. It is everything I ever wanted in a mouthpiece. I got it after seeing dozens of my favorite players endorsing it. But I wonder, how would the tenor Beechler compare to the SR Tech Fusion?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sadly, here in Chicago, I can't find a single music store that stocks any metal mouthpieces other than Jody Jazz and Vandoren V 16 metal. I wish I could try the Bellite and compare it to the SR Tech, but since I can't, its SOTW forum to the rescue.

·
2,294 Posts
Seriously, you should give Theo's pieces a try. Yes, they're more expensive than the other pieces you're going through, but you could end up spending three times as much in the search as one TW costs, and still not find anything that really works. Theo has a trial policy and they're also incredibly helpful people. Contact Spooner (he works for Theo) on here if you want some more help and advise.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would certainly have tried the Theo Wanne pieces if not for the fact that I have several hundred in store credit at the local Sam Ash that I'm using to buy a new mouthpiece. I traded in my violin for store credit. After several years of turning out mediocre violin students, I decided it was time to focus all of my time and energy on the sax. anyway, it's a done deal. Based on the testimonies in this thread, I ordered the SR Tech already.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah, at last I'm satisfied with a mouthpiece. Thanks for all the advice. I ended up trying the SR Tech tenor fusion and Pro models and loving them both. I strongly prefer either of them to the Jody Jazz, which I joyfully exchanged for the SR Tech with 300 bucks left over. The Jody Jazz DV Tenor was very picky with regards to reeds. One seemed to stiff, the next too thin, nothing seemed just right. But every reed I played (just about every Vandoren reed made plus RJS) on the SR Tech's sounded good. Anyway, after jamming in the local Sam Ash on the Pro and Fusion models for hours, I ended up choosing the Pro. To me it was more versatile. But I loved the Fusion as well. I'll probably end up buying the Fusion too, for those funky fusion gigs.

·
6,715 Posts
Always good to have a happy ending.
Having tried both, I wonder if you would explain why you settled on the Pro? I have often cast lustful eyes in that direction, just based upon the description, but have never played one.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I initially ordered the Pro to try in comparison to the Fusion after reading an old SOTW forum post in which several sax players preferred the Pro to the Fusion. Here's the link: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/archive/index.php/t-4738.html
My conclusions were the same as those who favored the Pro. The Pro is more versatile. In my opinion in the Pro model someone finally designed the perfect baffle. It is a medium baffle with ridges carved into it. It is high enough to deliver a loud, powerful, edgy tone when needed, but low enough to produce a sweet tone with more depth to it. It seems to me that when the baffle is too high, it brings out the higher range of the harmonic spectrum at the expense of providing enough of the fundamental to provide a rich, deep tone. But with the Tenor Pro, I get all of the fundamental and lower end of the harmonic spectrum I need to provide a rich sound with depth, and yet this mouthpiece is capable of producing that edgy, bright, Michael Brecker-ish tone that I so often use.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hi Ajarndontree.

I see this said about high baffle mouthpieces often and it has become accepted as the norm.

I believed that too about high baffle mouthpieces. I play a Jody Jazz DV 7*. When I first tried it I hated it because I was coming from a Berg 130/3 M and I was playing the DV with the same attack as the Berg. A common occurrence with any aspect of sax playing.

We tend to approach the new horn, mouthpiece or whatever with what we know from the old one. And then we come on a website like this and when the choir preaches the gospel of the shrill, blatty high baffle mouthpiece there are plenty of "amens and can I get a witness" choruses to convince you that high baffle bad. Medium to low good. And especially Link very good.

Let me tell you a story. A friend of mine an alto player used to take his horn to the legendary " Little Mac" for repairs.

One day he went to Little Mac to get his horn looked at and he noticed a sax sitting there and asked Little Mac about the horn.

Little Mac told him with his salty language it's Dexter's horn and keep your so and so hands off of it. Dexter had left his horn with Little Mac while he went to the Academy Awards rather than leave it in a hotel room.

My friend A pro player who has been on world tours kept asking Little Mac this and that about the horn so Little Mac said ok you can pick it up just don't break any so and so thing.

So he checked out the horn and then the mouthpiece. Little Mac again warned him not break anything.

Now when he looked in the mouthpiece he saw some kind of thing inside. A wedge. So he asked Little Mac about it and Little Mac said "yeah that's just Dexter up to his old tricks. Those guys are always doing something like that".

So when I bought the DV the "wedge" or high baffle is already there. And what I've found out about the DV is you have to get the perfect reed for it. What I mean is out of a box of 5 you might get three that you can perform with. And of those 3 one will be ta da the perfect reed.

The mouthpiece is not reed picky. Any brand or size will play on very easily .

However here's where the DV is different. It's basically black and white when it comes to reeds.

With the wrong reed it'll play shrill and blatty. But with the right reed the sound will explode and I'm talking about the most exquisite sound I've ever heard. Full, dark and bright at the same time.

I used to play a session once a week with a piano player that's been the pianist with a legendary world famous sax player for 20 or 30 years.

So I asked him what does the famous sax player do for reeds.

He said he just opens a box and tries them out until he gets the "one". He's seen him do this with as many as 20 reeds at a time only keeping the good ones. He just ain't got time to fool with reeds.

That's when I stopped stressing about reeds. It seems expensive but it 's really not. I get about 3 reeds out of a box that I can perform with.

So getting back to the mouthpieces it really comes down to what reed you use. Doesn't it always.

So if it's good enough for Dexter then it's good enough for me.

Am I saying the DV is the same as the mouthpiece that Dexter played with the wedge? Nope.

What I'm saying is keep an open mind when it comes to art especially . You might learn something.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Equake: I can appreciate where you are coming from. However, it is not true that I read all these anti high baffle remarks and bought into that line of logic because of the choruses of amens on that topic. What I am saying is that my personal experience confirms that the choruses of high baffle=shallow tone testimonies ring true. And btw, I absolutely despise the tone I get from any Otto Link mouthpiece, which is why I sold mine as fast as I could after trying other metal mouthpieces. The baffle is just way too low for me on those. It doesn't suit the edgy, funky fusion styles I gravitate towards. But regarding reeds, my take on it is this: with the Jody Jazz, I spent several weeks trying different reeds, and out of dozens of different brands, strengths and cuts of reeds very few produced a tone that was pleasing to my ear. But it seems that with the SR Tech, just about any reed I strap onto that thing sounds great. That is also my experience with the Meyer hard rubber mouthpieces I've used. I can slap on a ZZ, Java, V 16, Rico Jazz Select, regular Vandoren, Lavoz, or any other reed and get a response and tone that keeps me coming back to SR Tech and Meyer mouthpieces time and time again. In fact, I love the SR Tech so much that I'm now saving up to buy one for my alto. If the alto SR Tech pro is anywhere near as good as the tenor, it expect it to play circles around my Beechler Bellite, which is a good mouthpiece, but I just think the SR Tech will be better. The Beechler is also very picky with regards to reeds. If that's your thing, playing mouthpieces that sound fantastic with that rare find of an exceptional reed, by all means, go for it. But that's not for me. I think I'll stick to my philosophy of playing on mouthpieces that sound great with just about any reed of the correct strength for that mouthpiece.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Excellent post Ajardontree. I like the way you held your ground. A friend who used to play with Ike turner was going to give me a SR Tech but I bought the DV. I tried an SRTech Titan. Should have tried the fusion. I think that's what my friend was going to give me. As for the DV I know what you mean about reeds. I went through the same thing. Only I was searching for 2 years when I found out it wasn't the mouthpiece or the reeds but the Rovner was causing the problem. I switched to a Selmer 2 screw ligature and everything changed. The sound became fuller, the volume increased so much I had to back away from the wall so I wouldn't damage my hearing. But an equally important factor is the intonation became so much easier. I'm using Java red box reeds now. I'm glad you found what works for you and you weren't swayed by other's opinions but actually gave mouthpieces a serious try. I can't argue with what you experienced and again the goal is to find what works for us. Again good comprehensive post. I would say more but I'm limited because I'm posting from my iPhone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts