Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi chaps. I've just has my first lesson after being self-taught for 6 months or so. For some reason now I'm squeaking a lot more! I don't know if this is something to do with taking more mouthpiece (which my teacher encouraged) or playing long notes (might make my lips/mouth tired and therefore squeak-prone?!) or just the warm weather?!!

I was told to make the edges ot my mouth tight to get the right pressure, but the centre less tight so the reed can vibrate. But I'm finding it quite hard to actually do this.... does anyone have any tips on what I should be thinking/doing to get it right?

Thanks!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Squeaks can be caused by:

---A reed that is not straight on the mouthpiece
---A mouthpiece that has a crack or chip at the end
---A reed that is chipped on one side of the tip
---A reed that is thicker on one side than the other
---Biting too hard on the reed, especially on one side more than the other

The player caused squeaks can be remedied by the correct formation of the embouchure and the proper amount of mouthpiece in the mouth. This link by Bruce Pearson has some excellent tips for beginners on this topic. You can also produce an Ab concert on the mouthpiece and neck (Alto) and E concert on the mouthpiece and neck (Tenor) to find the right amount of embouchure pressure to use. http://www.brucepearsonmusic.com/article/SaxEmbouchure.htm

It also helps to use a rubber patch on top of the mouthpiece if your top teeth are uneven and to try to feel your jaw and chin pulling down and away from the reed (not pushing up against it) as you play. Good luck. Hope some of this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts