Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my sax repaired a bit, but there was this one tidbit that was bothering me.
When I play on my sax, I get a huge squeak every time I finger middle C AND the Octave Key, (High C or whatever your terminology).

I could hear something other then that High C, like a squeak in the tone.
It gets EXTREMELY obvious when I use my Fork F. (The key above the B+Octave Key)

When I do a quick F arpeggio going to the F3, I get a huge sustained (as long as I hold the note) squeak, I could even change the pitch of the squeak. (The pitch of the squeak isn't even close to an F) (I could even play that fingering with the pitch it should be without a squeak, but I have to control my fingers and play with slow airstream)
(This has never happened to me now until recently)

I checked the octave pips on the neck, and on the sax, but I don't believe they are contributing to the problem as I manipulated their openings and closings.

I thought my Middle C pad was leaking because when I was using a paper to somewhat clean the pads, the Middle C pad had no resistance when closed and the paper being pulled out.

And to add to that, when I finger only the 00x|000, or the key below the Middle C pad,
the Middle C Pad wouldn't close.

So I am assuming my middle C Pad is leaking somewhat, I'm going to drop off my sax again to the repair tech later tonight,
so I thought I share my question with you guys.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
It sounds as if you have diagnosed the problem yourself. If pressing the C key does not close the small top pad completely then your upper stack is out of regulation. If you had a leak light and your sax has the small adjusting screws on the back of the upper stack, you might be able to put it back yourself, provided there are no bent keys or other problems contributing to the keys not closing together.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds as if you have diagnosed the problem yourself. If pressing the C key does not close the small top pad completely then your upper stack is out of regulation. If you had a leak light and your sax has the small adjusting screws on the back of the upper stack, you might be able to put it back yourself, provided there are no bent keys or other problems contributing to the keys not closing together.
I'm not exactly sure if the C key is closing all the way when I finger the C, but when I'm only fingering the key below it,
its not closed at all.
Is there another way to check for a leak? I don't have a leak light, my band director used something very thin to check for leaks,
like the part of the Vandoren Reed Box plastic sealer that you pull to tear the plastic off the box, but I don't have that, or cigarette papers.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
The small C pad should close and seal when you press B or A, but there is no necessity for for the G key to do anything other than close the G pad, and operate the octave mechanism. It does not need to close A or small C.

Just a long shot: Check that your neck is creasonably lean and that there are no obstructions in the sax and neck.

I don't think you have mentioned the brand/size. Does the thumb octave lever operate any keys on the front of the sax?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's an Antigua Winds, built simliarly like a Series 2 Tenor, but with a few changes.

Here's what I discovered myself with a flashlight.
The B Pad is leaking real obvious, and the middle C key closes 2 pads,
the one with the bis key (little C key, etc.) and the pad right below it, next to the G pad.
Lets call the bis key, C Pad #1 and the one below it, C Pad #2

C Pad #2 is leaking pretty bad also. I highly doubt the octave keys have to do anything with this squeaking problem.

As I also discovered that it must be because of the pad leaking, because Middle C without the octave key squeaks also.

So basically, anything involving the C Key or the B Key will cause major squeaking.
To get some people to understand:
B = x00|000
Middle C =0X0|000

How am I supposed to fix this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
You take it to a tech.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,579 Posts
Who repaired your sax 'a bit'?
You get any issues resolved by taking your instrument to a tech.
You find out if the issue was resolved by playing your instrument before you leave the shop.
With all of the questions you ask about 'fixing' your horn you should already know this....

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who repaired your sax 'a bit'?
You get any issues resolved by taking your instrument to a tech.
You find out if the issue was resolved by playing your instrument before you leave the shop.
With all of the questions you ask about 'fixing' your horn you should already know this....
I'm pretty aware of all that, but I had very little choices.
The person who did some work on my horn had to go out of town and dropped it off his brother's house who doesn't repair saxes.
I didn't see the point of playtesting because I don't have a horn to practice on at home (and I had to practice) and because the person who fixes saxes was out of town.
Another thing is, I only have the number of the person's wife and brother, so talking to him is rather very limiting, because I'm not getting an answer.
Right now, I think its the worst weekend to have my horn in this condition.
I'm going to try again tomorrow to see if I could some how get horn fixed by the "tech".

Another thing to add is that, this person is my only option at the moment.
And how long do fixing these kinds of leaks take?

·
19,579 Posts
Tomorrow is Easter Sunday...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tomorrow is Easter Sunday...
I know, that's why I don't like doing this, but he worked on my horn on Easter Friday, I think he's Buddhist.

·
19,579 Posts
Hey little buddy,
I've put out the call to see if there is anyone out there who can get your horn into GPC.
I'm willing to send the tech who steps up $50 to help you out.

I know I'm hard on you, but this is breaking my heart. Mean old BM isn't really mean and I want you to have a working sax.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I worked on Friday and Sunday, and I'm not Buddhist.

For somebody who really knows what he is doing, this correction is likely to take less than 10 minutes, barring complications, and providing what you describe is all that is wrong.

No "tech" should leave a sax in this condition!!! The job of a tech is exactly doealing with such things. It's like a builder leaving nails half sticking out!

BTW, What you call C#2 is the "A" key. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,049 Posts
Lets call the...
Your key names are pretty clear now, but they are not the standard names that almost everyone use. To clarify, here is a photo. It's of a soprano but principal is the same for alto, tenor, etc. If it's not clear I can take one of a tenor.
As explained in the keywork sticky thread, key is generally a part with a pad on it.
The smaller key at the top of the upper stack is the C (or small C). Then the B, Bb (Bis), A, G.

Musical instrument Wind instrument Music Science Engineering

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Chunsoo can take his sax to Texas Band and Orchestra in McAllen Texas which is only about 51 miles away. There is a coupon for a discount on repairs at the website. Can I have the $50 Bandmommy, since I helped out? Please. :mrgreen: Seriously, send it to Chunsoo to help pay for getting his sax fixed.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well thank you Bandmommy, I don't know what to say, but I don't need the money.
I'll try to figure out something this week.

·
19,579 Posts
How much is cab fare to get to Texas Band and Orchestra in McAllan?
Do you have a friend who's parent can drive you to the shop? I'll give you gas money.
You gotta quit 'trying to figure something out' and get that horn fixed.
I know an offer was made to you by one of the techs on this forum. I will pay him the $50 to help defray some of the cost. Shoot that more than covers the return shipping.
If I had an extra horn I'd even send that so you would have something to use while yours was in the shop.

No more excuses. Get the horn fixed.
What does it mean to you when some lady you have NEVER met in your life is willing to go to those lengths?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts