Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a long-time player and have only recently seemed to have developed some kind of squeaking problem ONLY on RJS tenor reeds. I played a show last night and debated whether or not to use the RJS reed I had, but it was by far the best sound reed I had ready, so I used it. My sound was great but I put out a new noticeable squeaks which was quite embarrassing. Anyone care to speculate why this is happening only with this 1 particular brand of reed? If I use a Vandoren, it doesn't happen at all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
It may just be the cut of the reed. Or the reed could be warping in an unusual way. I'm not the acoustical expert. But my understanding is that most squeaks are causes by a portion of the reed contacting a side rail in front of the table. It is like touching a vibrating guitar string and making it jump to a higher harmonic. Some reads just do this more than others an specific mouthpieces. It may indicate a quality issue. But then again, it may not.
It

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sometimes tonguing more of your notes helps. I used to squeak only on my high A on Tenor Sax. So I would tongue that note and that solved my problem until I got used to the rubber mouthpiece/ reed combo I was using. When I play on a metal mouthpiece on my Tenor I squeak unless I take just little (very little) bit more of the mouthpiece in your mouth and then have more of my bottom lip contact area with the reed. Then I had to get used to playing that way. It didn't take long for the squeaks to stop.

It is funny that I only used to squeak on Tenor. Never had the squeaking problem on Alto or Soprano Sax. I am not claiming that this fixes everything but it worked for me. Hope this helps.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,200 Posts
When the reed is on the mouthpiece can you see any of the rail exposed on either side or does it hang over the edges?
Sometimes when the reed is too narrow you'll get squeaks. Sometimes when the reed is too wide for the mouthpiece you'll get squeaks.
The reed 'should' just about cover the rails.

It everything is good, you may want to check the flat side of the reed for warping. Some brands are 'flatter on the back' than others.
Rub it briskly on a piece of paper then look for shiney and dull spots. If there are dull spots sand the flat side on a piece of 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to take off the shiney spots.
The back of your reed 'should' be more shiney than dull.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have no idea why you only squeak with RJS, but I tend to agree with what mfry says in that it could just be a mismatch of reed and mouthpiece. As you already know, the easy answer is to not use RJS reeds.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In my experience, the RJS are better suited for longer facing mpc's - they have a longer vamp, which matches that longer facing. vandorens (at least most of their cuts) are shorter and seem to work better on medium or shorter facings. That may explain why it only happens with the RJS. Could also be a reed width issue, but i don't remember a big difference between vandoren and RJS in that department.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good tips from everyone. A Saxscape Downtown is my main mouthpiece but I also use an SR Tech Fusion. Both have the issue with RJS reeds. I really like the sound I get with the RJS but I guess I need to get used to something else. I play Vandoren ZZ's and like them although they don't last long. I've also played Vandoren Java Red's which play really nice. I find it strange that I can use any mouthpiece reed combo on alto and soprano and have no squeaking ever. I never squeaked even in my early high school days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts