Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past few weeks I've been playing with Rico Plasticover #3 paired with my dukoff D7 which I've use for 1 year. I used to play with Vandoren Java #2.5 and V16 #2.5 reed but this Plasticover produces that edgy sound i've always wanted to reach. But the problem is whenever I do tonguing in the high register there are always squeak and squeak. It's a different case when I use Vandoren, yeah I never got that squeak with vandoreen. Any advice guys?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Could just be that this cut is a bad match for that facing. If you want brighter/edgier maybe try some Rigotti Gold Jazz.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used to hate my life until I found Rigotti Gold Jazz, and then I didn't hate my life any more, just the same amount.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes, I agree that Rico Plasticover sound I used (rather tried to use) was brighter, even sharp and penetrating, but all the time I had problems - unstable, hard to choose (I mean I feel there were always harder then other Rico reed with the same number), "coating" on the reed quickly lost their structure and reed lost it's properties.

I play Rigotti Gold Jazz on tenor, alto and soprano. In my opinion the characteristic sound of Rico Plasticover can not be replaced by Rigotti Jazz on the same mouthpiece. If one want to find more aggresive sound - should try to use right reed-mouthpiece combo.
And yes, I had sometimes squeaking problem with Rico Plasticover, never had squeaking problems with Rigotti Gold Jazz or Rico Select Jazz.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
The cause may be that you are moving the chin or jaw when tonguing. To check tongue a series of eight notes on a B and with your free hand feel under your jaw, or turn sideways and watch yourself in a mirror. Typically this movement indicates you are moving too much of the tongue, too far inside the mouth.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,010 Posts
I just switched from Legere signatures to Rigotti gold jazz two weeks ago after 10 years on synthetics. While the sigs gave me some occasional squeaks in the highest register and with altissimo depending on the mouthpiece and sax, the Rigottis are fantastic across all of my equipment, and they give the right degree of brightness I'm looking for. Never thought I'd go back to cane, but I have and so far it's working well. The only downside is the reeds get a bit logy after 60-90 minutes of playing, while the sigs stay constant even after a 3 hour gig.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I used plasticovers many years ago and loved them but cannot get them to work anymore (on tenor) I have been trying out Legere signatures and they work pretty well but I find that after a while of playing, (for me) they seem to lose their seal on the mouthpiece ( I play hard rubber on tenor) . No matter what lig I use ( generic 2 screw , rovner etc.) they seem to get wet on the table and I know it isn't the mouthpiece as cane reeds seal well on them if I make sure the reed is flat (yes I do know how to work on reeds) This is getting very frustrating because the cane is very inconsistent . Rigotti golds are very good reeds but as posted above, they seem to change after about an hour. I love Jazz selects when I get a good one , but that is another issue. Are any of you experiencing this with the Legere reeds , because I am really trying to get on with them .

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I recently discovered Roberto's Winds reeds (they're made by Rigotti as well, but cut a bit differently) and for me, they're better than Rigotti's (tried those for awhile and still have a few unused boxes). Been using Legere Signatures almost exclusively for the past 2 years, but now I think I'm going to explore the Roberto's for awhile. I think the Signatures have been slipping in quality over the past year or so (also expressed this in other threads), so I'm happy there appears to be a cane reed that I might like.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
... they seem to get wet on the table and I know it isn't the mouthpiece as cane reeds seal well on them if I make sure the reed is flat (yes I do know how to work on reeds)….
When my reeds get squeeky, I first reposition the reed. If it persists, I remove it, and clean the table rails and reed. If it still persists, I flatten the back of the reed by scraping in with a straight blade, or fine sand paper. If it still persists, I replace it. PS - I never squeak more than when I'm attempting a Dukoff D. I think they may be squeak-prone, until you develop better technique and embouchure control as suggested by saxoclese.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Well, Dukoff facings are typically very short and very sloppy.

Beyond that, I'd clip the reed just the tiniest bit. That usually stops any squeaking or chirping for me.

·
Registered
670 Posts
When my reeds get squeeky, I first reposition the reed. If it persists, I remove it, and clean the table rails and reed. If it still persists, I flatten the back of the reed by scraping in with a straight blade, or fine sand paper. If it still persists, I replace it. PS - I never squeak more than when I'm attempting a Dukoff D. I think they may be squeak-prone, until you develop better technique and embouchure control as suggested by saxoclese.
As I have said in my post, I know how to work on and flatten reeds and I never have a squeak problem with Cane reeds. I do however have some problems with the synthetics (Legere) not keeping the seal on the mouthpiece after a while of playing. I don't think you can flatten the back of these synthetic reeds because it will ruin them. They are nice and consistent and lively, but after a while of playing (for me) they lose the seal and are not the same. They may not like my particular mouthpiece facing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I bought boxes of plastic coated reeds for alto and bari. Only one of the five was playable. I really wanted to work as I play outdoors sometimes in TX heat. I gave up on them. They do not feel or respond the same as cane. I vote for Rigotti's too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like Cane reeds even Plasticover vary from reed to reed. If you look closely, at times you can see that the coating is not consistent. I use the Vandoren Reed resurfacer (not an advertisement, you can probably use very fine sandpaper) to even out the bottom of the reed so it seals on the mouthpiece. I've found that a mediocre reed is more playable after that. After so many positive comments on Rigotti Gold Jazz I will have to retry them, had been using V16's. I use the Plasticover for my outdoor Blues and Rock gigs as I do like the bright sound they produce and they don't warp when I put the tenor down while I play my other horns. I do use Legere Signature on my Soprano and Bari in the hot weather.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the past 12 years I have been using Rico Plasticover 2.5 on both my Alto & tenor, Both with Berg SS mouth piece and Rovner Ligs and the only time I have had a squeak has been when I've been a bit lax with my embouchure. Apart from that, I swear by the Plasticover Reeds as they last a long, long time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These past few days I decided to use Vandoren Java #2,5 again and the squeak is no more. Can you help me find what reeds give the same brightness and edginess like Plasticover? Or is it just me to add the level of the strength from Plasticover #3 to Plasticover #3,5???
Still cant figure out whats wrong with me

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the past 12 years I have been using Rico Plasticover 2.5 on both my Alto & tenor, Both with Berg SS mouth piece and Rovner Ligs and the only time I have had a squeak has been when I've been a bit lax with my embouchure. Apart from that, I swear by the Plasticover Reeds as they last a long, long time.
How do you keep your embrochure tight?

How

1 - 19 of 19 Posts