Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,698 Posts
Mounting the reed is of utmost importance. Looking across the tip with an illuminated background, like a window or shaded light, push the reed up to the tip and move it until it is even - but be aware that the tip is not vertical - it cuts under like a shark nose, so you line up on the bottom edge of the tip, not the top. Then you make sure the reed is centered at the rear and at the tip. Then you check the tip again to make sure. I recommend putting the front edge of the ligature at the end of the bark for starters. Tighten the ligature until you can twist the mouthpiece if needed without having the reed shift.
Mouthpiece patch; if you're using one, make sure it does not crowd the tip - 1/16" clearance is required at the tip and the patch must not crowd the edges either.

·
Registered
1935 BA Alto, 1953 SBA Tenor
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
When I switched to my Durga I also had problems with chirps and such, but a lot of it went away just with time on it and focusing on keeping less pressure with my bottom lip and more with the corners of my mouth.
had an hour long practice session tonight. Focused on the corners of my mouth and keeping the lip relaxed. Only one chirp. Aside from the chirping, the more time I spend with this piece the more I really like it. Going back and forth between it and anHR piece to see if I can make myself aware of the differences in my embouchure. The corners of the mouth may be the trick.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
24,334 Posts
Almost certainly it's just a matter of getting used to the metal mpc. With time, you should adjust, and the chirping will disappear. As others have mentioned, try sticking with the DV, not switching back and forth with your other mpc, at least for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
Mouthpieces with thinner side and tip rails and wider tip openings require more embouchure control than "safer" student mouthpieces designed for still developing embouchures. I have learned that a "Squeak" or "Chirp" occurs when one side of the reed tip vibrates and the other does not for a variety of reasons. Sometimes jaw movement when tonguing can affect the embouchure's control of the reed's vibrations. Benade claims that the "squeak" one hears on a reed instrument is the natural resonant frequency of the reed itself when its vibrations are not "damped" by the contact of the lower lip. One can create this effect by putting the entire mouthpiece in the mouth and blowing hard. Practicing starting notes in all registers at louder dynamic levels using various tonguing syllables is one way to practice to eradicate the "squeak" if it is caused by the player and not the equipment itself.

·
Registered
‘38 Buescher AristoTenor, ‘66 Martin Magna Tenor
157 Posts
I used to have a Gottsu VI metal tenor mouthpiece that squeaked badly. The piece turned out to have a crooked facing, and also perhaps a baffle that was too high. I didn't bother to correct the facing (or baffle) so cannot say for sure, but on my expertly refaced OL STM the only squeaking or chirping that I get is entirely due to my embouchure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Couple of things to check. First, chirping intermittently from G2 up can be a sign of an upper stack leak, inspect the upper C#, it often gets overlooked. Second, many metal mouthpieces are finished with a shorter front rail which can make them chirp happy. In this case a thicker tip reed can help, I personally like the Rigotti Red Classic - same strength as all Rigotti reeds just a bit more control and resistance due the shape of it's profile. Third, assuming the mouthpiece table is flat and the rails are balanced, flatten your reed using some form of reed tool before playing. Also if the mouthpiece tip rail does not match the shape of the reed tip you can rework your reed tip. I find that 800 grit precision nail file work great for that purpose.

Lastly, if you bought new, contact the maker. I would expect the producer of a high priced mouthpiece to agree to check his work for quality control should there be an issue...

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well, last two days, absolutely awful. Chirping with every start. Incredibly frustrated. Need to put the piece down for a while. Going back to the Morgan. I’ll try again in a couple weeks. Metal just might not be for me.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,212 Posts
Well, last two days, absolutely awful. Chirping with every start. Incredibly frustrated. Need to put the piece down for a while. Going back to the Morgan. I’ll try again in a couple weeks. Metal just might not be for me.
Another reason I think the CHI is specific to this issue is I've played lots of metal mouthpieces on tenor over the years. None chirped for me like the CHI. I feel there may be some that have a warped facing leading to the chirps. If you really like it, ask a refacer to assess the piece!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,387 Posts
See Keith‘s comments regarding chirping and squeaking here:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Another reason I think the CHI is specific to this issue is I've played lots of metal mouthpieces on tenor over the years. None chirped for me like the CHI. I feel there may be some that have a warped facing leading to the chirps. If you really like it, ask a refacer to assess the piece!
I'm going to reach out to Jody E. first, get his thoughts. Have a friend who is a pro, going to have him try it out on Monday and see if he has the same issues.
The issue is somewhat mitigated when playing on Java Reds and worse on the BSS reeds. Javas conform better to the tip profile. BSS hang over on the corners.

But, I'm just a weekend warrior, no pro by any stretch. Plenty of room on the growth curve so I welcome any and all advice.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts