Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello sax lovers!

I have a question: is there a point to use high step baffle (rock/pop) mouthpieces on very old saxophones from 10-20s? How does it sound like? Does anybody have an example of the sound?
Especially interested in tenors

Thank you in advance for you comments!

·
Registered
645 Posts
You'll find that different horns respond to different mouthpieces in their own way depending on what you look for in either piece of equipment, but there's no reason you can't use a high baffle piece on an old horn. In fact, pre-50s horns can be awesome saxes for pop and rock--there's a reason so many of the old school rock and r&b players were playing Conns.

In general, older horns tend to have a darker base sound with a lot of spread and buzz to it, which unless you mean smooth jazz when you say rock and pop can honestly be a huge advantage. And even if you are playing smooth jazz, that buzz will disappear after applying the comical amount of reverb that smooth jazz gets in post-production.

That said, like with any horn and mouthpiece combo, the only way to know for sure if you like it is to try it out yourself. Are you playing a split bell key horn now and are looking for a high baffle mouthpiece, or vice versa?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll find that different horns respond to different mouthpieces in their own way depending on what you look for in either piece of equipment, but there's no reason you can't use a high baffle piece on an old horn. In fact, pre-50s horns can be awesome saxes for pop and rock--there's a reason so many of the old school rock and r&b players were playing Conns.

In general, older horns tend to have a darker base sound with a lot of spread and buzz to it, which unless you mean smooth jazz when you say rock and pop can honestly be a huge advantage. And even if you are playing smooth jazz, that buzz will disappear after applying the comical amount of reverb that smooth jazz gets in post-production.

That said, like with any horn and mouthpiece combo, the only way to know for sure if you like it is to try it out yourself. Are you playing a split bell key horn now and are looking for a high baffle mouthpiece, or vice versa?
Thanks!
I rather thought whether high baffle mpc is suitable for those older saxes with smaller diams, but I got the point. Indeed, they are edgier and darker.
I'd rather ask: if it's convenient to use a high baffle mpc on split bells. Due to different circumstences/conditions some mouthpieces don't play at all on older ones thus I was wondering if it's suitable physically (if you can say so)

Although, in some sense I believe there're no problems with playing any mouthpiece of any design. Just need the time to get used to it.

I have an old Conn tenor. Trying to dig it :) Not sure if I want a high baffle mpc right now, but I liked CE Winds Shocka

·
Administrator
17,268 Posts
I rather thought whether high baffle mpc is suitable for those older saxes with smaller diams, but I got the point. Indeed, they are edgier and darker.
I'd rather ask: if it's convenient to use a high baffle mpc on split bells. Due to different circumstences/conditions some mouthpieces don't play at all on older ones thus I was wondering if it's suitable physically (if you can say so)
I think the old saxes normally have a wider diameter compared to more modern horns (not all). What can give issues with tuning on older horns is using mouthpieces with a medium or small chamber. Some higher baffle have smaller chambers and those can give issues, but I don't think it does make a difference if the old horn has split bell keys yes or no (it's really linked to the bore diameter of the horn). So take a high baffle mouthpiece with a big chamber if you want to use one on an old horn with a large diameter, just to prevent tuning issues.

I once had a 1932 Conn Tranny on trial to try to get one of my high baffle mouthpieces (an old Ponzol Super 120) in a more dark vibe. I also used that mouthpiece on my early 50's Selmer SBA tenor, which has a smaller bore compared to the old Conn. I found that airspeed made a bigger difference than the horn (on the Selmer I could get a brighter sound than on the Conn with high airspeed, but both sounded good in my ears). I still prefer a bigger chamber mouthpiece on the Conn, but that's personal preference.

Here is my old Conn/SBA compare clip, played with the high baffle Ponzol mouthpiece:

- 'It Don't Mean A Thing/ (Conn/SBA - Ponzol 120 - La Voz medium) fast:
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12670972

Recorded with backing track and USB mic in February 2014. Played on a 1980's Ponzol 120, La Voz medium reed, 1932 Conn Transitional tenor (right channel, solo at 0:37) and 1953 Selmer SBA tenor (left channel, solo at 1:40). Chase choruses start at 2:42.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
So take a high baffle mouthpiece with a big chamber if you want to use one on an old horn with a large diameter, just to prevent tuning issues.
Not just to prevent tuning issues but also to prevent having a shrill, thin tone. High baffle mpcs work much better with a relatively large chamber and large tip (both to add body & warmth to the sound). Beyond that, there is no reason not to use a high baffle mpc, if that's your preference, on a vintage horn.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
On my old Conn tenor I use a Meyer (a relatively large chamber by modern standards) and a Dukoff D7 (large chamber, but also high baffle) and have excellent results with both. Horses for courses, of course.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Not just to prevent tuning issues but also to prevent having a shrill, thin tone. High baffle mpcs work much better with a relatively large chamber and large tip (both to add body & warmth to the sound). Beyond that, there is no reason not to use a high baffle mpc, if that's your preference, on a vintage horn.
In a nutshell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts