Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title pretty much sums it up. Hearing that the same side bell key stencils share the 10m body tube was mind blowing, and good news for budget players. Can the same relationship be established between the New Wonder II and the earlier stencil horns made by Conn?

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
20,253 Posts
Is it ? Or is it a NW I ?????

I have all 3 here at the moment, and I will do a measurement comparison tom'w to reconfirm....although I do trust Bruce....

BTW....PanAms don't have the microtuner necks...NW I's and II's do...

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,459 Posts
Also on the 1920-47 horns, Conns have rolled tone holes, micro tuners (alto and c melody) and the G# trill. Also, the stencils usually don't have the front F although I have some that do mostly the post 1935 models. I have a Pan-Am alto that is so very close to my 6M viii. Conn stencils (and most US ones) are bargains that people tend to overlook.

· Registered
1,927 Posts
FWIW, my late 20's PA tenor finally, finally got done right by a good repairman. And, people I'm hear to tell you, set up with the right mouthpiece it sounds beautiful and plays very nicely. It doesn't shout like a later Conn but its sweet and rich, top to bottom. I can't help but proclaim that its got to be 90% of a NW (so to speak)[- duh, well, yeah I never played a NW....ok ok I admit.]

I began my journey to tenor from alto with this a year or so ago... see this for some nice photos. http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?131152-OPinions-on-Conn-Stencil-Pan-American. The photos in the thread were from before the ultrasonic bath and o'haul. It took me this long to really get the overhaul tweak and right. The satin nickle finish doesn't hurt in terms or sax appeal.

It probably won't ever cut it in a funk band regardless of mpc, but when I'm filling behind a vocalist singing torches and bossas and in small combos, you can't beat it. Now when the '58 10m comes back (similar story as the PA) that will be something else, too.

20,253 Posts
OK, so here are my results:

PanAm Split-bell horns ranging from serial P-22,8XX to P-37,3XX....a NW-I of serial 101,5XX ...and a Chu (NW-II) of serial M157,XXX...have identical bodies.

Measurements taken at:

Neck receiver exterior diameter, neck receiver ferrule length, body tube diam's at upper stack A-hole, lower stack E-hole, tube-to-bow ferrule, bow-to-bell ferrule, diameters of Bell Bb hole, bow C and C# holes, and bell lip diameters.
Height from bottom of bow to bottom of tube/bow ferrule. Height from bottom of bow to bottom of bell ferrule. Distance between surface of body tube and surface of bell piece taken at tube/bow ferrule. All ferrule bands are the same width on all 3 horns.

13 measurements along the body of the horn... and all are identical (within less than a .5mm differential on all).

All necks fit and intone each other well. The necks of the Chu and NWI have a smaller interior mouthpiece end diameter than the PanAms (meaning their necks taper more than the PanAms).

Then the PanAms have no rolled holes, whereas the Wonders do.

Wowzers.....:dazed:

20,253 Posts
Interesting, and I think perhaps a bit of a freak(?)...I have always found that all Conn altos, from NW's up to late '60's Directors, have interchangeable necks which all work with each other (exceptions of course being the double-socket 6M necks in there). The NW-I neck I have here fits both Chus I have had here near perfectly...

Putting the more tapered Chu/NW necks on a later horn, and vice-versa, will alter the tone of the horn, but the intonation is still pretty good up and down.

Again, we can only really look at the serialed horns we have or have had....so it wouldn't surprise me if in the run of production, there were variances.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.