Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 25 year layoff I am trying to get back into playing. Invariably after a few measures I have a very spitty sound (probably because of too much spit :) ) and am constantly having to 'recycle' the spit (polite way of saying I have to suck it back in). Any ideas for alleviating this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
You might take a look at the sealing between the mouthpiece and the cork. If there is a space in between at the end of the neck, condensation can collect in there which causes a very spitty sound. One possibility is to use a lot of cork grease before you put on the mouthpiece.

Another reason might be that you play with a low pressure. Putting more breath support increases the pressure on the air and wil "push" away the condensation in your mouthpiece and/or neck.

If it's really spit you blow through, playing more (like every day) might help a bit. I had a lot of saliva in the beginning because my body thought that thing in my mouth had to be digested. By now it realizes that ain't the case, so saliva-production is down to normal levels. :D

M

·
0 Posts
I found 2 reasons why this sound occurs....it was something that used to annoy me alot.

Firstly, i found i get this sound when im using a reed that is too soft, so maybe experiment with different reeds?

secondly, the moisture on the back of the reed. when you prepare a reed to play its important to get all the excess moisture off. i do this by rubbing it with my thumb after i soak it to remove excess muck. (you can also apply a small thin layer of cork grease to the back of the reed after doing this, to stop spit from absorbing into the reed whilst ur playing)

hope this helps!

[mpsax]

·
Registered
145 Posts
I also have this problem, but after a longer period of playing, more like an hour. I think it may be caused by reed warping, as in after playing so long the shape of the reed changes so much that it doesn't seal on the mouthpiece that well. This topic is covered in Ray Reed's book "The Saxophone Reed," which I've just started to read so I can't embellish on this topic. Try swapping a reed and make sure the table of the reed is flat and smooth.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,712 Posts
Last time I had this problem was with a metal mouthpiece that had a facing that was too long. Fluid can build up behind the "usefull" part of the facing curve and bubble away with the leaking air from behind. Very annoying indeed!

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Sometimes the mouthpiece baffle venting has dead spots where saliva collects.

So many culprits to chase down!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love that I could come here and look at just about any question I have. This whole thread was helpful. Thank you !!

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Make sure you have the reed lined up with the tip rail of the mouthpiece. Sometimes when I'm trying to brighten up a reed I'll put the reed on just a little lower than the tip rail. The down side is you get some of that bacon sizzling sound.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ensure the reed is clean, any type of build up may cause saliva to build up. 30 yrs later and I'm still sucking it back...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts