Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm still in the process of settling in with my new Ref 36 tenor. It had a major leak that was easily fixed by my tech. Its been a few days and I notice water /spit drops in small amounts from time to time near my cork. The mouthpiece is on tight so I'm wondering where it is coming from. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
Several possible issues.

You just changed back to tenor. Perhaps you are just blowing wet. That moisture has to go somewhere.
If you are playing a metal piece and its cold you will get more condensation. Some people put the piece in their pocket to warm it prior to playing...you can see if that helps.

Last, if a rollover baffle is too high on a piece large droplets of water deposit there even after playing once or twice up and down the scale....like literally 15 seconds of playing. Test this by taking a wet reed. Make sure to wipe off the bottom on your trousers so there isnt a lot of water under the reed. Play, remove mpc. You should see "Sweat" on the baffle. If there are pools the rollover is a too high and its "Catching" more moisture than it should. You will then know where the extra moisture is coming from. This is a quick test for baffle adjustments that can actually be seen. Too high of a rollover also causes resistance, dampening of tone, and cuts a little into the power and clarity of a piece. If its bad it makes spittle sound but if subtle you just see a lot of moisture.

Do you see this when you take the cork off or while playing? If its while playing it might be tight on the cork but that means its not sealing completely...a seal is a seal. You can try more cork grease. Cork does have l of little holes

Im not a horn tech but I dont see a way that it would be your horn itself. The problem is starting well before any mechanism, of course, discounting the cork. It might be sanded slightly out of round...again, for giggles get quite generous with the cork grease. It may help the seal and soften the cork so it settles in.

So those are some things you can look at and try.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
You're either "spittling" from the corners of your mouth and it's running down the sides of your mpc. to the end, or your ligature isn't sealing the reed completely and you're getting some spit blow out from under the reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
One possibility not yet mentioned is the joint in the cork. If there is a groove in the outside of the cork, it is possible for accumulated moisture to drip from the mouthpiece, and make its way out between the mouthpiece shank and cork.

If the glue securing the cork to the neck is incomplete, moisture could find its way out there too.

You can tell the two apart by seeing if there is wet cork showing. You might diagnose it by wrapping a piece of paper around the cork below the mouthpiece, and you'll see where the moisture is coming from.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sigmund- Wasn't the baffle issue...Turns out the garage is pretty cold. So it's probably that

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just to add my two cents worth, I recently had my YAS-23 serviced and a number of pads replaced and things tightened up, and I have noticed more condensation/fluid accumulating after playing. This is especially true in the mouthpiece and neck.

I put it down to less leakage of humidified air, so it condenses in the neck.

It sounds similar to your experience.

Edit:I just re-read the OP and it sounds like you are seeing moisture on the Outside of the neck? My experience is more moisture Inside the neck.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to add my two cents worth, I recently had my YAS-23 serviced and a number of pads replaced and things tightened up, and I have noticed more condensation/fluid accumulating after playing. This is especially true in the mouthpiece and neck.

I put it down to less leakage of humidified air, so it condenses in the neck.

It sounds similar to your experience.

Edit:I just re-read the OP and it sounds like you are seeing moisture on the Outside of the neck? My experience is more moisture Inside the neck.
Yes I am seeing spit/condensation on the outside of the neck around the cork neck- but I figured out it was because I was playing it in a my garage which is cold. So I got a little heater. I haven't seen the problem since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts