Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If I was in charge of production, all special orders would either go through the regular line in batches (in which case you'd have to wait), or be sent through a secondary facility (which would exist only if there was sufficient demand).

None of us here are likely to be able to tell you what they do at the place you're buying from. And other than maybe having to wait, I don't know why you should care.
You ever wonder why the sun rises in the East and sets in the West ? .... WHY SHOULD YOU CARE ? smh . . . what kind of response is that .

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,887 Posts
You ever wonder why the sun rises in the East and sets in the West ? .... WHY SHOULD YOU CARE ? smh . . . what kind of response is that .
Sounds to me like the most helpful response. People try sincerely to help and answer questions based on their experience.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have purchased Selmer's from Saxforte in years past and had an issue with a horn with acid bleed . His response was he just grabs a horn , boxes it up and ships . I think a $3,500 Serie III alto should be free of acid bleed
I'm sorry to hear of your experience, especially since mine was so absolutely different and positive. Mathew was completely clear that he accepts no returns (folks have actually told him that they want to demo various horns for the cost of shipping and then buy a pristine new horn once they've made their choice), but also that he insists on sealed boxes directly from the factory so that you are guaranteed your horn was not a distributor-recycled school demo or shop-worn wall hanger. In my case, he inspected so carefully prior to delivery and disclosed with photos a tiny blemish (speck of acid bleed, except I was able to remove it with a moistened CTS) in a corner under the neck and offered me the option of replacement at no cost. He was also extraordinarily generous with information both on the phone and via email. I have bought three horns online from Europe and for two of the three the hassle, uncertainty, unpredictable extra fees and high expense of return have tempered any desire for a few hundred dollar discount. I do highly recommend Matthiews Muziek, however, for a graceful personalized efficient and cost-competitive buying experience.
Answer to your question: plastic resonators for the TWO2 because they meet their revenue goals with that spec.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
Historically, Selmer (France) had long recognized special orders from the factory. I had two black laquered VI horns (soprano and sopranino) special ordered by the prior owner from the factory back in '72. Off course special order also means full retail price... and then some.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm sorry to hear of your experience, especially since mine was so absolutely different and positive. Mathew was completely clear that he accepts no returns (folks have actually told him that they want to demo various horns for the cost of shipping and then buy a pristine new horn once they've made their choice), but also that he insists on sealed boxes directly from the factory so that you are guaranteed your horn was not a distributor-recycled school demo or shop-worn wall hanger. In my case, he inspected so carefully prior to delivery and disclosed with photos a tiny blemish (speck of acid bleed, except I was able to remove it with a moistened CTS) in a corner under the neck and offered me the option of replacement at no cost. He was also extraordinarily generous with information both on the phone and via email. I have bought three horns online from Europe and for two of the three the hassle, uncertainty, unpredictable extra fees and high expense of return have tempered any desire for a few hundred dollar discount. I do highly recommend Matthiews Muziek, however, for a graceful personalized efficient and cost-competitive buying experience.
Answer to your question: plastic resonators for the TWO2 because they meet their revenue goals with that spec.
I agree with you . I have dealt with Muziek on several occasions and each horn was PRISITINE !

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Historically, Selmer (France) had long recognized special orders from the factory. I had two black laquered VI horns (soprano and sopranino) special ordered by the prior owner from the factory back in '72. Off course special order also means full retail price... and then some.
Yes, without question one will have to pay top dollar for a special order horn . I understand aftermarket products are "BETTER" than factory because of overhead cost etc ,but I would much have it done at the initial manufacturing if at all possible . I bought a brand NEW 1997 Acura Integra GS-R and had a stock am/fm cd . I declined the upgraded system in favor of installing my own . When I seen the audio shop pull apart my NEW doors and dash , I CRINGED ! Furthermore , I don't think my asking for metal resonators on the Professional model TWO2 UL is that EXOTIC . I prefer the post to body construction , all I wanted was the metal tone boosters that they place in their Elite model TWO20 UL . Nothing more , nothing less .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Yes, without question one will have to pay top dollar for a special order horn . I understand aftermarket products are "BETTER" than factory because of overhead cost etc ,but I would much have it done at the initial manufacturing if at all possible . I bought a brand NEW 1997 Acura Integra GS-R and had a stock am/fm cd . I declined the upgraded system in favor of installing my own . When I seen the audio shop pull apart my NEW doors and dash , I CRINGED ! Furthermore , I don't think my asking for metal resonators on the Professional model TWO2 UL is that EXOTIC . I prefer the post to body construction , all I wanted was the metal tone boosters that they place in their Elite model TWO20 UL . Nothing more , nothing less .
So why do you want metal resonators on a TW02? Have you played one? What does it not do?

FWIW, unlike the guys at the audio shop that tore apart your new car, you have a choice in technicians. If you are concerned about your horn playing in peak condition, you should have a tech you trust to maintain it. That same person will be very knowledgeable about taking the best care of disassembling/rebuilding your horn.

·
Clueless how he got this title
1,151 Posts
Would you buy a new car with an upgraded audio system that was installed at the factory , or would you order the basic audio and then take your vehicle to a place and sit there and watch them pull apart a brand new car ? I think most people would not want a brand car torn apart to upgrade the audio when it could be done ( maybe at a higher price than worth , yes ) at the factory . So too with a new horn , if the factory could do it , why not let them do it ?
If I was going to upgrade my audio system to something better, then I would want something I would like. If that audio system was something that was not available at the factory, then yes I would go to someone else to do it.

With the whole idea of tearing apart a saxophone, most new saxophones need to be checked over by a tech for leaks and to be put into optimal playing condition. I know when I went to the Conn Selmer plant in Elkhart to select a new Series III alto a few years ago, I took it to my tech afterwards to be set up the way I wanted it. If I would have wanted different resonators I would have had him do it and not bothered with the factory. I guess we just have different ideas of what is easier.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,202 Posts
The problem with the sound system analogy is with:

1) The typical failure of the cars - to - saxes comparison. I think it unreasonable to compare the most complicated things to the simplest things.

2) The example of the sound guys itself, suggesting that they were not careful/competent/whatever.
If you engage really good service, they will do the job at a factory - equivalent level. Still, on cars that is not easy to do.

No reason that a good sax tech cannot achieve factory - equivalent retrofit of resonators. Much easier than car audio at that level.
In fact -- and I am a huge fan of Yanagisawa -- they put the tiniest amounts of shellac on their factory pads. Nowhere near enough.
Which, somehow, seal really well and stay that way for a very long time. It baffles me to see the lack of shellac.
Like 10-15% as much as I want to use. I am no expert, but my pads stay where I put them.
What I mean is that a good tech may be able to improve on the Yany factory pad installation, just by being a bit more generous with the adhesive.

To the point of the OP, call Dave Kessler if you want to know re: Yanagisawa. Largest US Yany dealer, so he might know.
No idea if Yany would retrofit or build a special.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,025 Posts
Forgive me, I wasn't intending to be snarky. What I was thinking was that as long as it was put together properly, the final purchaser doesn't really need to be concerned about how the manufacturer did it. It would have been helpful for me to not expect you to read my mind.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your experience, especially since mine was so absolutely different and positive. Mathew was completely clear that he accepts no returns (folks have actually told him that they want to demo various horns for the cost of shipping and then buy a pristine new horn once they've made their choice), but also that he insists on sealed boxes directly from the factory so that you are guaranteed your horn was not a distributor-recycled school demo or shop-worn wall hanger.
I ordered my nickel-silver Keilwerth tenor from Mathew at Saxforte back in '05. I was very happy with his communication and the fact that he didn't adjust the horn once it arrived from the factory. I wanted my own tech to go over it once it arrive, which I did. My tech found very little that needed adjustment and it played very well right from the factory. I couldn't have been happier with my purchase through Saxforte.

My soprano I bought through my local dealer (Saied Music in Tulsa, OK) and because it was a special order and I dealt with the manager of the woodwind department directly I trusted that it wouldn't be touched until I got it. It played perfectly right from the factory without any adjustments. I also know that he kept my horn in his office until I got off of tour and not with the rest of the sales inventory. It's not often that they have guys come in and special order nearly $6,000 soprano saxophones from Germany in a limited finish that take nearly a year to come in. So yeah, he took care of it for me until I got off the road and could pick it up.

In both cases I communicated directly with my sales person and formed a relationship with them and told them exactly what I wanted. My JK alto I bought from Whipkey's music because they were the only dealer that I could find the summer of 1999 that had the clear nickel SX-90R altos in stock and not have to wait for months and months for a special order to come in.

If you are going to be buying musical instruments, and especially special ordered instruments from dealers it would behoove you to find one and form a relationship with them. Only good will come from it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I say: "Get real!" Are you seriously asking if a busy saxophone factory is actually gonna stop production just to insert a "special order" from !46puosxB ? Modern factories are driven by order entry systems, where materials and scheduling are controlled by MRP (Material Requirements Planning) software. Unless you are "somebody", I doubt that you will get any "special" consideration. Expect to get in at the back of the line, and wait your turn. When placing the order, you should receive an estimate of lead time. Whether you can rely on it is only a guess. The pandemic is probably extending normal lead times by as much 3-6 months from any factory.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I placed a special order with a good Taiwan factory for a model that is advertised as being available in a particular body finish (satin brushed silver body and dark gold lacquer) and requested a different finish (very lightly brushed silver body and polished silver keys). 3 months later it arrived. I'm not saying you can do that with the mainline pro brands, but clearly it is possible with smaller operations.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I placed a special order with a good Taiwan factory for a model that is advertised as being available in a particular body finish (satin brushed silver body and dark gold lacquer) and requested a different finish (very lightly brushed silver body and polished silver keys). 3 months later it arrived. I'm not saying you can do that with the mainline pro brands, but clearly it is possible with smaller operations.
Your response is quite possibly the best response I've read on here. Thanks .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I say: "Get real!" Are you seriously asking if a busy saxophone factory is actually gonna stop production just to insert a "special order" from !46puosxB ? Modern factories are driven by order entry systems, where materials and scheduling are controlled by MRP (Material Requirements Planning) software. Unless you are "somebody", I doubt that you will get any "special" consideration. Expect to get in at the back of the line, and wait your turn. When placing the order, you should receive an estimate of lead time. Whether you can rely on it is only a guess. The pandemic is probably extending normal lead times by as much 3-6 months from any factory.
Getting Real . I don't think asking for an item that is in stock and readily available would cause them to stop production . So I'll explain my inquiry : Yanagisawa makes a TWO20 with metal resonators and a TWO2 with plastic resonators . Same body tube /tone hole placement . All I wanted was metal tone resonators installed on the TWO2 which is a post to body horn . That's it . So if they are already making that horn , inserting a service ticket to install metal resonators on the next TWO2 that was ready for resonators to be installed isn't that MAJOR of a request . If I was asking for something super crazy , then yes , I would think it would be started at the end of the production line . I don't think grabbing a horn in mid production and changing resonators , BEFORE they are already installed , is a catastrophic task . Saxophones , like cars , are manufactured and sold to dealers . Doesn't mean that someone will buy said horn , a special order horn will most definitely be sold because it is already paid for . So all I did was ASK the forum how are special orders handled . Nothing more , nothing less .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,920 Posts
Currently with Covid I’m sure CS would be happy to service anyone with anything. Instrument sales are in the tank. This page has a link for dealers. Also at the very bottom in the middle a link to purchase a instrument. There is a comment box at the bottom. Good luck.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts